Fragin zoa's.....

Well im getting new lights in about a week. I have this one nice zoa colony thats been higher in my tank for about 3-4 months now. It seemed to actually grow a lil faster when it was moved. But....the new lights that im getting i think will melt the zoa's as they sit. Easy fix? Just move the rock? No can do...i have two montipora's on the rock and it took me forever to find the right spot for them. So....question time.

1.Who here has fragged Zoa's?
2. Can i just slice and dice and put it right back into the tank without hurting anything else in the tank?
3. IF question 2 is yes, why cant i just cut them while in the tank?
4. Is there some sort of dipping solution i should be using for anything(might be a dumb question)

Heres my problem rock...the colony is on a disk i could just cut along the base of this disk and maybe loose a few zoa's but oh well.....?

DSCF3455.jpg

I just went in the tank and pissed them off to kinda show the disk location. For some reason im kinda scared to even mess with them but i really dont want them to melt away so they MUST be CUT =)

finzoa.jpg

Dana, I frag mine all the time. If the zoas are on a disk you can reach in and just pull the disk up off the rock. Some of the zoas will stay on the rock. Then place it some other place in your tank. I do this same thing with a couple different zoa colonies in mine. I now have Orange Bam Bams in like 5 different places.

Dana, I frag mine all the time. If the zoas are on a disk you can reach in and just pull the disk up off the rock. Some of the zoas will stay on the rock. Then place it some other place in your tank. I do this same thing with a couple different zoa colonies in mine. I now have Orange Bam Bams in like 5 different places.

When i do that it feels like im going to rip them open and im affraid like some nasty liquid is gunna ooze out and kill stuff in my tank. I was thinking a exacto knife just cutting around the polyps, but if i can just rip it off and not have any issues f-it.:mrgreen:

Dana, they will rip off, some staying in place on the rock, it will be fine I promise you. If they don't bake, they will spread and you will then have 2 colonies in different locations in your tank.

I did what fast said and i just ripped it off. Shyt went oozing all over prolly destroyed about 12 or so polyps....everything is still super pissed off after 3 hours....gah i could help but feel bad. I took pix but havent uploaded them yet as im running around my apt doing a bunch of stuff

Just like fast said, i used brute strength to remove them. Stuff oozed all over the tank...but its better than them melting away when i get my new lights.

38544c75.jpg

ccb42469.jpg

Looking good Dana! You'd be surprised how much light some of the more hardy zoas can take. I found 3 eagle eye zoas just floating on my sand bed one day so I glued them about 3" under my 150w MH and in the past month they've grown about 6-8 new polyps.

Hmmm well it will be interesting to see if the remainder spread or melt. Ordering my fixture Tuesday so hopefully George at reef geek can get it to me before the end if the week.

I don't think you're fragging had anything to do with it. If I remember the time of events correctly, your fish got sick before before you fragged those zoas.

Back