frags or colonies u chose

XxKnuckleheadxX

Reef enthusiast
im wondering what people prefer im really starting to see people are more toward the frag part. i would of thought people would rather have colonies then just a little frag. you tell me..

My budget allows for frags only, I can't really drop over a hundred on a coral, and most of mine are growning on to the rock the way I want it, not someone elses rock, so it works for me.

+1 more

I'd love to buy some colonies but they are just not in my budget. My tank looks kinda bare as I'm stocking it with a frag here and there. But I'm patient and buying stuff with cash and staying within my means.

Like others, I just can't afford colonies. If money wasn't a limiting factor, I'd buy colonies. But usually I can only afford one polyp of whatever it may be at a time.

I almost never buy colonies if I can.
I like seeing the small frags grow, it is more satisfying to me. Buying a colony is almost cheating in my book! I could have made my entire tank look awesome by shelling out the money and filling it with colonies, but it makes me much happier staring at my tank's growing corals and thinking that "I did that!"

And frags are so much cheaper; I simply can't justify spending $100 on a coral that could die.

The only exception is if I see something is a good deal and I could break it down, frag it, keep some and sell the rest.

I think frags give you more of a sense of accomplishment when they grow into a full colony. Kinda like when your garden begins bearing vegetables.

Also if a frag dies you haven't lost so much money.

I think you will make more money off of frags. You can buy a mother colonie for 100 bucks frag a few pieces sell them for 30 bucks and be even and still have the mother colonie growing

To me,It depends on the coral and the price.
If I can get a colony,I'd rather have the colony.It takes a bunch of frags to make a 125 look like a reef:grumble:

Right now I pretty much just have frags. It's fine for the really fast growing soft corals but watching these LPS and SPS grow is just painful. I got a few frags at a swap in october. I got some acans, a small acro, and some really pretty zoas.

I don't even see any difference in the acans.
The acropora is just recently starting to encrust onto the rock I glued it too.
But the zoas, holy hell. The frag had 5 heads when I bought it. And only 2-3 months later, there are 35-40 polyps on this thing. It's crazy.

So I think I'm gonna start getting colonies of LPS and SPS and stick with frags for softies.

knuckle....do you have a website or anything with the stuff you have for sale? Or maybe you can start a thread and update it when new livestock becomes available? :twocents:

To me,It depends on the coral and the price.
If I can get a colony,I'd rather have the colony.It takes a bunch of frags to make a 125 look like a reef:grumble:
You got that right yote, it take even more then that to make a 210 look full or even partially covered. i have a few things growing but i try to by bigger corals or a huge amount of polyps :bowdown:

In the beginning I got colonies because I didn't understand how much everything would add up to and I was so eager to make a nice looking tank. Now I try to get a frag here or there and watch them grow.

Back