Freaking LFS - Lesson Learned

N00B

Reefing newb
So I decided to take matters in my own hands and get rid of a few aiptasias growing from my live rock. I rushed to the LFS to get some Aiptasia-X to get rid of the little boogers. It was close to closing time, nonetheless, they were open when I had arrived.

While waiting to check out, I noticed other customers purchasing 10g jugs of salt water as well as RO/DI water. I figured I should get some RO/DI water to top off my tank to replace what has evaporated. I had them test my water while I was there as well. It's a new tank almost finished with it's cycle. Test results were pretty good. PH was right, 0 on Ammonia, 0 on Nitrite, still a bit high on Nitrates.

I came home turned off all flow to my tank and followed the instructions for ridding the Aiptasia. Seemed to work like a charm.

I also cleaned out my filter since water flow was stopped thinking it might help with the high nitrates.

Next I emptied the 10g. jug into my tank. Couldn't believe that much was evaporated! Well, I never filled it up to the top since rises higher in my wet/dry than it should. (I might be doing something wrong but that's for another thread.)

I decided to test my water parameters - first for salinity and sg. (Using a Hydrometer). To my freaking surprise the level is out the roof. Past 40 on Salinity and 1.032 on SG. It'd probably go higher if it weren't for the stopper. WTF!?! Those bastards gave me salt water instead of RO/DI. I'm sure it was an accident but it was at 1.021 SG before I left my house.

I looked at the my receipt and found that they didn't even charge me for the jug or the water but damn... now what???

I'm hoping the high readings don't kill my CUC. Lucky I don't have any fish yet. I'm guess another trip there tomorrow with my complaint is warranted.

I assume I'll need to do a water change and replenish with more RO/DI water. Does anyone know how I can balance this out? What is this going to do to my cycle??

Please help! Thank you and I apologize for my language, just a "little" pissed. :frustrat::frustrat:

You've got it! Just do a couple of water changes and replace with RODI. I don't believe it will affect your cycle at all, so no worries there. Normally you would have to adjust your SG slowly but since you don't have any livestock it won't matter if your SG drops quickly.

He's got cuc though....not sure how they'll handle the sudden rise in salinity. I know lowering it below 1.021 or so is not good for them, but neither is a sudden rise. I say if the cuc don't survive, take it to the lfs and get some type of store credit, even if you did not get the cuc from them. It was their error that caused this.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm back at the correct salinity and sg. Thankfully all my CUC made it thru the transition.

Back