fresh 50gal corner to reef

I have a small overflow Tifoez, if you want it, it's yours for the shipping if you're in the USA. The problem I see with that design is it doesn't afford good surface skimming.

Thank you ReeferRob, ill take you up on that, do you have the model, so I can look it up on youtube??
I'm running two 1/2" pvc diy hob overflows that are keeping up with the pump I'd like to use on my diy protien skimmer..
I do have a larger pump I'd like to use, but I think ill need to use dual 1 1/2" or 2" hob overflows.. I kept drowning my display with my current overflow rate..
Sorry I am taking so long on this build, I am learning patients early on.. I can't afford not to..

Don't have a clue as to the model, I got it in a package deal with my Dutch Mini-Reef tanks. As soon as my card reader gets here I'll shoot a pic for you.

Thank you again ReeferRob!! All my builds will be on a minimal budget, so everything is a tremendus help!! Working on my oneoff diy protien skimmer.. yup 100%silicone

20141001_210007.jpg

I'm worried about that pipe to hose connection. If that fails, water will be completely drained from your system. They do offer a pipe to hose connection (hose bib) that you can cement in vs. Silicone and head pressure.

I agree, I don't like the set-up, but I don't think my pump is flowing to fast, I'm going to try to add video..

Ok, so.. if this works, PLEASE don't make fun of me too bad, my debut video being posted online.. I sound like such an idiot!! If I could have figured out how to mute myself I would have..

I can already count the money ill need for therapy..

6GpH_EDxKBI

Ok, before I have someone tell me, its skimmate, but its tap water..

Oh!! And about the lights, I was going to post in another thread about my lighting idea, but this works..
using petco florescent bulbs in my original hood..
IMG_20141003_202829.jpg
Just a random money saving idea..

If it's a one or two bulb fixture It will be ok for a FOWLR or to start a tank but it likely won't be enough for photosynthetic corals.

It is a two bulb, what do you think I'd be looking at for coral.. zoas, polyps, anemones, are what we've added to our wish list..

I can always modify my hood to accomidate lighting..

ReeferRob, email me for address infos.. I tried to send you a message, I couldn't figure it out.. at least I know how to post.. lol

It is a two bulb, what do you think I'd be looking at for coral.. zoas, polyps, anemones, are what we've added to our wish list..

I can always modify my hood to accomidate lighting..

ReeferRob, email me for address infos.. I tried to send you a message, I couldn't figure it out.. at least I know how to post.. lol

What's the demintions of your tank?
I know it's never easy to come to hear but lighting is the one place you don't want to go cheep on, it's the life and death of the reef tank

Ok, I believe it is a 40-50 gallon corner tank, the refugium I'm using is a 10 gallon that I hope will always be 3/4 full..

the bottom of the tank is less than 2'empty, with 3" sand, so 20" or so from light to sand bed..

I didn't think it would be skimping since the fluorescent bulbs are the ones they sell to replace the bulbs in their $200 canopies..

It's a hexagon right? For a tank that deep and with its foot print you may want to go with Chinese black box leds, best bang for the buck, I don't think you'll be able to get the five or six bulbs you'll need for LPS SPS and anemones with fluorescent bulbs.

When your looking down at the top it looks liks a home plate for baseball..

5 or 6?? Holy crap, lol..

Two @ 10k
Two @ actinic
And a moonlight or two?? What is a good moonlight??

Moon lights are kind of pointless, on a natural reef it's pitch black at night and zooanthelli need the rest period. SPS and LPS start to feed sustain after dark. So moon lights good for just after lights out then they should go off too.

2 10k and 2 actinic is still 60 watts over your tank, that's not going to be enough for most LPS any SPS and you can't even think about keeping a anemone alive.

On my 24 gallon nano cube I was running 2x 36 watt power compacts, that's 66watts @ 12 inches deep and I could only keep LPS and softies.
Look into MH or LED.

Moon lights are kind of pointless, on a natural reef it's pitch black at night and zooanthelli need the rest period. SPS and LPS start to feed sustain after dark. So moon lights good for just after lights out then they should go off too.
we could go into a long discussion on the use of moon lights, they may bevery helpful with your cuc. The 28 day cycle of the lights promote the sexy time apparently. You can grow your own cuc... well at least promote it. I had them on my old t5 set up and the Kessils didnt offer it, I haven't seen a bit of difference in growth of the coral either way.

we could go into a long discussion on the use of moon lights, they may bevery helpful with your cuc. The 28 day cycle of the lights promote the sexy time apparently. You can grow your own cuc... well at least promote it. I had them on my old t5 set up and the Kessils didnt offer it, I haven't seen a bit of difference in growth of the coral either way.
Yes they do have use and I agree with running a 28 day lunar cycle. But there is no need for them to be on over night. A few hours after lights out is enough. The natural reef is pitch black at night. And a 28 day lunar cycle involves water flow more than lighting.

You can get those el cheapo LED fixtures off eBay now for about $85 delivered and it'll offer you MORE than enough light. There was just a big discussion about them over at nano reefs. Unless you're ordering a German fixture, you're probably getting Chinese. Cut out the middle man and buy it where it's the cheapest. You won't find a cheaper bastard than me, don't care either. I embrace my cheapness. :D I'll try to email you about that overflow tonight after dinner.

Thank you Sir.. I'm el cheapo also.. not by choice, but..
I plan to upgrade systems with budget, and I pray everything I use to get running holds up until I can make those changes..

I'm not sure how the email around here works, if you would rather, my email is ASK ME :) lol..

ReeferRob, email sent ;)

Last edited:
Back