Fresh from the ocean

Ghost

Reefing newb
Hi
I'm brand new to saltwater aquariums and to this forum. I would like to know what can be used in a tank straight from the ocean. I live about 15 minutes walk from the beach. Does a rock from straight from the ocean need curing? What is "curing" and how do I go about doing that.
Sorry if this subject was already discussed, I'm still busy going through the whole forum.
Thanks

First thing,is check with local wildlife agency about what you need to harvest legally.
Then 2nd try go as far off shore as you can.The farther out the less crap you'll get.

I agree with yote, make sure it's not illegal to harvest the rock.
then I would rinse off the rock with clean saltwater and check for unwanted hitchikers such as mantis shrimp.
you may not see a cycle using rock straight from the ocean. just keep it wet so there isn't any die-off.

also, whatever you take in from the ocean, don't put back. once you take it out, it is yours til it is dead and you throw it away. Go a long way out and please, make sure you know what you are taking and how to care for it. If you are not 100% sure, leave it there. You can end up killing lots of things in your tank by adding that "unknown" pretty starfish. I hate to see people lose entire systems from one mistake. Oh, and be careful out there, lots of Great Whites in your neck of the woods. :shock:

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Harvesting stuff for a salt aquarium is part of my fishing lisence, so there I am legal already.
Pollution around here is not much of a factor. Great white sharks are!take
I'll take a pic of anything I want to add and get the opinion of the forum first.Just to make sure I don't kill my tank

People probably didn't realize you are from South Africa Ghost.

Good luck,feel free to ask any questions you have.

Live rock must be properly cured to create a healthy marine environment. The biodiversity found on all transported live rock undergo some degree of natural die-off, especially delicate or damaged fauna and flora. As these encrusting organisms go through this process, they produce a large amount of waste materials. Without proper curing, pollutants and toxic compounds such as ammonia are released into the water and compromise the health of your entire aquarium system. Whether pre-cured or uncured, it is crucial to never introduce any live rock to an established aquarium containing fish, corals, or other marine animals unless it has been properly cured.

Since this is a new set up,you can cure live rock right in the tank.It will take up to 6 weeks to cycle but most will take 2-4wks.While its curing test ammonia ,nitrite and nitrate.Once ammonia and nitrite rises and then drops back to zero then the cycle is complete.At this time many do 25-50% water change before adding the first inhabitants.

I do have one more thing to add.Most of us except one other reefer(Rigo) have to buy live rock that has been transported thousands of miles before it gets to us.In your case,you may never see a cycle since its coming practically out your backyard.Still,I would let the system mature for several weeks before adding livestock.If you don't see a cycle,add a little fish and let it decay.That should be enough to start a cycle.

Whew!I did a lot of typing....very unusual for me.
Best of Luck-Dominick

Thanks a lot for the info Reeffreak. So i'll be adding my liverock and livesand as soon as I put water in my tank. Then they can go throught the cycle together. Do I need to scrub/brush the rock every now and again or do I just leave it like that?

up to you. if you can clearly see dead something, go ahead. It won't be really necessary. run a protein skimmer right from the start during your cycle. Add all the live rock you are at the beginning. I am glad you are doing it legal, so now we can send you requests!!! :bounce:

Reef, I did notice the whole South Africa thing, hence the comment on Great Whites. I watch my discovery channel!!!

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Yes Babalaza I fished from Inhaca island in Mozambique. Had some great fun flyfishing Portuguese Island and Hell's gate.

Kimoy
I'm still waiting for my tank to be delivered. Will have a look in the rock pools later this week to see what can go into my tank after the cycle. Will take some pics then

Fished a bit of one of the locals boats. Most fishing was done landbased. Landed a load of wolfherring and some smaller species of kingies

I have read somewhere that if I use water and liverock and sand straight out of the ocean I will have a very fast cycle. How true is that? Keep in mind that I harvest it myself in can have it in my tank in about half hour or so after harvesting.

I have read somewhere that if I use water and liverock and sand straight out of the ocean I will have a very fast cycle. How true is that? Keep in mind that I harvest it myself in can have it in my tank in about half hour or so after harvesting.

Its probably very true.

Will you be doing water changes with water from the ocean or are you using synthetic salt?Using ocean water is unfamiliar territory for me.

Back