Fresh water dip??

mmfrock

Reefing newb
Can i give my gorgonian a fresh water dip to remove the GHA thats growing on it? I've tried to pick off what i could, i even tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush while under water. I am in the process of fixing my GHA problem in my tank, but for now i want to know how to halt its progress on my gorgonian. Help please!

FWD wouldnt do it.
You need a hydrogen peroxide mix i think? Not too sure.
Wait till someone else chips in.

freshwater wont do a think for hair algae, and will more than likely just end up killing a coral that is already on the edge.

The best thing you can try is a H202 dip of 5 minutes with one part H2O2 to ten parts saltwater.

WARNING: THIS MAY KILL THE CORAL BUT WILL BE EFFECTIVE AGAINST THE ALGAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some corals arent bother by the dip, others are. I would think that the gorg would react like other soft corals and not be too bothered. However this is just my best guess and dont hold me accountable if it doesnt react well.

I would increase the flow that the gorg is receiving to try and prevent that algae growth in the future.

yea ok, im not ready to do it yet. The coral is still doing well, so im just going to see if i can kill the algae through the other methods im working on to clear it up in the tank

I recently did this to a candy cane frag that my LFS gave me to try and save. I actually left the coral in the mixture a few minutes too long, but the candy cane is bouncing back and regrowing flesh after about a week. Good luck with the algae. What kind of snails do you have in the tank?

I have astrea snails and a few of the sand sifters. I am on the way to the lfs tomorrow to buy turbos, thats what everyone's reccomending for the algae battle, along with new light bulbs and maybe an emerald crab and cleaner shrimp.

Get an assortment of snails, like asrtea, cerith, dwarf cerith , nass, turbos. They each will tackle different algaes along with the same algaes, the dwarf cerith can get into crevices that other snails cannot..

I wouldn't do a freshwater bath on any coral since invertebrates have a very poor ability to osmoregulate and fresh water baths cause their cells to rupture (thats why people use freshwater baths on fish to treat ich)

Can i give my gorgonian a fresh water dip to remove the GHA thats growing on it? I've tried to pick off what i could, i even tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush while under water. I am in the process of fixing my GHA problem in my tank, but for now i want to know how to halt its progress on my gorgonian. Help please!

Okay well I would say with CAUTION you could use a hydrogen peroxide spray but this could do more harm than good to some of your corals. As some of mine I found did not like the spray at all, such as my GSP, Green Finger Leather, Torch, and Birds Nest I'm not to sure if it was that or the 2 months before using API's algicide. still probably having some in my tank then reacting with my use of the H2O2. But with the use of the H2O2 it took care of the plague status in my tank of GHA.

Though I will say this is a multistage fix as with me after the GHA was gone my Phosphates went through the roof. My rock was leaching it out and I was doing water changes every other day for about a month till I got my NextReef MR1 media reactor. Also one thing I had to do aside from this was rebuild my CUC and renew some of my rock.

The lack of control with the GHA due to it reaching plague status cost me My Jawfish, half of my Zoa, half my Aussie Pink Hammer, my electric blue candy cane and neon green candy cane, 90% of my CUC, my nem crab and my 4 sexy dancer shrimp.

So I urge you to do what every you must to take care of it tweeze it scrape it but all in all remove any of it from the tank when you do. I know a few of us on here have had vary bad cases of GHA it can cost you big in the end. With that said I hope you fair will with your war against this stuff it can be vary brutal

Back