Fresh water tank

shahrzad1893

Reefing newb
So I have a salt water already but about a week or two ago I had the urge to get another fish, but my tank was already fully stocked and I'm not one to over crowd a tank.
So I went out and got a Black moor goldfish. :P

It wasn't until I took him home that I realized this wasn't a great idea since he needed a larger tank and my spare 38 gallon has basically died and is worthless.
He's now in a 1/2 gallon bowl. :(
I feed him fine and he eats great, I change the water every night since he is in such a small bowl with no filtration.
He's doing fine but my conscious is killing me. :P
I need some info on starting a fresh water tank.

How many gallons would one goldfish need??
And what kind of filtration system ect ect...

You could get one of those 10 gal goldfish kits from petsmart...that will be perfect for him and it comes with everything you need to get started, except the water and the goldfish. :)

I am not sure if a 10 gal tank will be quite big enough for a black moor , they do get quite large. I know mine got over 7 inch and in a 10 gal may be quite tight for him.. I would step up to a 20 for him myself..

now your talking outdoor projects( love them).. lost 2 bushes due to that snowstorm thinking of throwing a small koi pond in its spot next year.. :D
the black moor grows very quickly eats like a pig..

Please don't put him in anything smaller than a 30 gallon. And please please please move him out of that bowl ASAP. I feel like I need a goldfish police badge.

Goldfish and Tangs in small tanks have a way of riling people up :)
It's awesome you're looking for a bigger tank for him now that you realize he needs space, try checking out your local petcos/petsmarts to see if they've got any deals, they should have a tank with some sort of biowheel filtration (or filter pad) for a decent price. I have a bug eyed goldfish, I had him in a 8 gallon for 2 years and never researched tank sizes for goldfish. I mean, yeesh, it was just a goldfish right? Once I did research my conscience bothered me too and now he's in my 14 gallon biocube. I feel like it's a big tank for him. The golfish police would probably still come after me.

ahhh well he is pretty small now
and i have had a hard enough time convincing the fokes to let me have another tank
I will definitely be getting a bigger tank but not quite a 30 gallon yet (that's the size of my salt and its currently housing some happy fish :) ) once I upgrade I can use it for my black moor
I'm still working out where I can put a larger salt tank
:/ this damn house gets too much direct sunlight

Well I have another question
would I be able to keep a sturdy tank on carpeting?
I'm in California and I'm afraid that if we do have an earthquake it wouldn't be sturdy enough :/

and we haven't had one in a long time and I hear we are overdue for a big one

I keep mine on carpeting. But, if you factor in acts of God there are just no guarantees. I'm surprised your home owner's insurance out there even allows you to have an aquarium :)

ahhh well he is pretty small now
and i have had a hard enough time convincing the fokes to let me have another tank
I will definitely be getting a bigger tank but not quite a 30 gallon yet (that's the size of my salt and its currently housing some happy fish :) ) once I upgrade I can use it for my black moor
I'm still working out where I can put a larger salt tank
:/ this damn house gets too much direct sunlight

I just don't understand how you can justify putting a fish in a 1/2 gallon bowl in one post, and then say you're "housing some happy fish" in another. I might get flamed for this here... but the goldfish should be just as important to you if you're going to keep it. Just my two cents.

Well thanks for putting me on the spot right here
It wasn't until after I got home that I realized my spare 38 gallon tank was useless
I wasn't planning on keeping it in this Temporary! bowl for a long time

Back