Freshly Finished Sump Design

matthew1048

Wurd to ya motha
Well, ladies and gentleman, I have just spent the afternoon drawing up a sump. And here it is:

sump_design.jpg

The dimensions are the same as the 29 gallon that I recently bought. The are several reasons I did this, the most important one to me is plently plenty of room to prevent overflow in the case of a power outage.

Any and all opinions, tips, and questions are very welcomed!!!! Anywhere yall can see a problem or flaw in the design????? Afterall, I don't really know what I'm doing....LOL!!!! Thanks Yall!!!!

With a sump so close to the DT size you should be able to run the water level pretty high in the fuge.A nice deep sandbed and still have plenty of depth for macroalgae,rocks,xenias or anything else you like to keep in there.Sounds like a plan to me.

I cant see any reason it wont work.Plus its plenty big enough that if you get something like a manits shrimp that you might want to keep,you can drop em in the fuge.

Thanks for all the comments yall!!! Freak, that was exactly my plan for the fuge...and yote, that's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Once again yall, thanks for comments!!!

Just a quick update for everyone.

Today I went to 3 different glass shops and Lowes to get some acrylic/plexi. The first glass shop was gonna pretty much force me to buy an entire sheet of plexi...$200+, so I said "No thanks." Came home and called my nearest Lowes, which is forty minutes away...I was told "Yeah, we got exactly the size you need". This was told to me AFTER the assiocate checked for me...they didn't have what I needed. Only had 1/8" thick plexi, which is way too thin for my comfort. Went to another glass shop, they totaled up the pieces I needed, was gonna cost more than 2 29 gallon tanks. Went to the last glass shop, same story. Needless to say this was a rather uneventful and dissapointing day for me. And it looks like my plans to have this part of the project finished by the end of the week are shot.

Nevertheless, after going back to the drawing board AGAIN, I have adapted yet another plan...and that is to go with my original plan, and use the 10 gallon tank already have, and just add in some dividers. Opinions and comments are welcome!!!!

Sigh...

i think that you will save a couple of bucks if you only add dividers to your 10g..here ive seen a lot of sumps that way and they work great....the downside is that the return pumps are a bit expensive...what are you planing to? to drill or use a overflow??...i agree with the idea of using the 10g...

at first i was going to make my own sump outta plexi like you were but my Lowes didn't have the right sizes either so i just went with a 29g tank and put in dividers, it was easier, less heartache and prolly would have turned out to cost just as much as if i had bought the right size plexi glass and made one myself.

I'm thinking about it....key word there is thinking. I am for sure gonna be heavily influenced by the way that stand is built. I'm a little worried about several aspects of that stand, first is the cost. Secondly, I'm worried about electrical switches and outlets being THAT close to water. Sure, you're gonna have electrical equip. in close quarters with water any which way you go...but those are some REALLY tight quarters!!! LOL.

I surely dig the convience of all those switches right there in one spot though...that and the fact that ALL of those wires are hidden...and it looks super slick. Lucky for me I have an expert on hand for electrical wiring if needed...but to answer you're question freak...I'm seriously thinking about it.

Matt,
Before you start getting every thing built and in place,You might want to think about putting GFI receptacles where your equipments going to plug in.Salt water and electricty make one heck of light show.

Just a quick update for everyone. Went to Lowes this weekend and FINALLY found the silicone that's aquarium safe...had to talk to 3 different assiociates before I got a hold of one that knew what he was talking about.

I still haven't heard from the guy that's suppose to be cutting my plexi...I told myself that I was gonna give him till this weekend to get it done, and if he didn't I was gonna start calling him twice a day till he did get it done.

I have come up with a question in all of this, and why I haven't thought of it before hand, I have no clue. I know that turnover through a fuge is suppose to be at least once per hour, and I also know that flow through the sump will be moving faster than that...and that's were my problem lies. How am I suppose to get the lower flow needed for the fuge if the fuge is incorporated into the sump??? Seems kinda like an oxymoron of system design to me. Any ideas????

sorry i cant help you with that matt...but dont worry answer wil come shortly from the forum...good one ..im learning a lot from this thread....

Back