freshwater dips

zee119

Reefing newb
anyone ever dipped a fish with ick and have succsess? the fish in question is my gold rim tang . he 's had on and off battles with it ,but today it's real bad. But he is still eating good, so to dip or not to dip that's my question...

A freshwater dip will force some of the cysts to drop off the fish, but that's not a cure. You must get the fish into a quarantine tank along with any other fish in the tank, and CURE them with either copper or hyposalinity treatments. Those are the only 2 scientifically proven methods to kill cryptocaryon irritans (saltwater ich). You must also leave the main tank fishless for 6-8 weeks. If the parasite doesn't have a host fish, it will die in the 6-8 weeks with no fish in the main tank.

Ich is such a simple problem to avoid. All it takes is not putting a new fish directly into your main tank. Take 2 weeks to watch it in a qt tank and treat if necessary.

I had the same problem with my blue hippo tang. I tried the fresh water dips but it just seemed to stress the fish out and the fish ended up with more spots on it. I ended up using hyposalinity and a product called paraguard by seachem. I took all my coral and inverts out because if you dont they will not make it. My tank cleared up in about 4 days and I havent seen any sign of ick since. I would not recomend the fresh water dips some would but they just seemed to make it worse in my situation.

I also went out and bought a cleaner goby and a cleaner shrimp because they can help control the problem in the future.

For Ich you just NEED to minimize stress, it is just as important or more than any meds or QT or anything, lower stress and feed garlic

i had ich once and cured it and my fish survived then a couple months later they gotit again but i could save em :( but it wasnt ther fault it was mine i shouldnt have kept a yellow tang,sand goby,clarkii clownifish,and a yellow tail dameselfish in a 30 gallon. but the first time i had to save em i put in dead rock in a styrofoam box and had a heat floresent bulb on top and i had salinity at 1.019 and put in copper.

yes i had ich three times cured twice lost once. no i dont like garlic but i put it on my skin in the summer somtimes to keep the bugs away lol.
but i didnt use garlic just frozen brine shrimp.also u could try these to help ward off ich this helped me the third time i had ich and it saved my fishes but it was really early like only 3-4 spots on the fish.http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+7927+8126&pcatid=8126
ps. i got the pellets

Back