Freshwater

Really, the best thing you can do for yourself and your reef is to get an RO/DI unit.

I don't put anything in my water from the RO/DI unit except the salt. No chemicals at all. The chlorine and heavy metals are gone. It's so pure that you actually shouldn't drink it. The de ionized water could possibly strip the mucous out of your throat and GI tract.

I bought mine at this place:
Filter Direct Online Store (C)

Click on Aquariums and then find the one that suits your needs. It's not really necessary, but I would get the best you can afford.

I bought this one:
Filter Direct Online Store (C)

It's about $15 or $20 for the shipping. All the parts are there. All you need is a couple pairs of pliers, knife, crescent wrench and some teflon tape. Took all of 2hrs to hook it up.

I don't have very good water pressure in my house. This unit takes 60PSI to work properly. I ended up buying an $80 pump to hook up and boost the pressure. Still, cheaper than most of the stuff on ebay and definitely cheaper than anything even close to the quality from online retailers like FosterSmith.

I don't know if it will really do 100G per day. But it does 8 or 10 gallons a week and thats good enough. It will last for years before it needs any maintenance.

If you don't know what RO/DI is:
Reverse Osmosis
De Inonized

I don't know enough about it to explain it and my fingers are tired. :mrgreen: But, it's the best water you can put in your tank. And that is crucial to success.

Last edited:
i never bothered to get an RO/DI unit - I am not a DIY kinda person. I just have about 20 gallons of RO water in jugs under my stairs. The water is free from my LFS. tap water just cannot be treated effectively to use - algae heaven if you use it. Using it once will not create a crash or algae bloom, but stop using it from now on.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Here is a tip. see if you can get in good with the owner / manager of your LFS. Make sure he knows EACH time you come into the store and you buy something. Comment on how much you love the store, livestock, etc. Comment on how much you come in and how much you refer others to the store. Make small talk with the same person so they know you by name. After about 4-5 weeks, ask them if you reallllly have to pay for a 5 gallon jug of RO water or if it would be ok to grab one every once in a while. There is a good chance you will not have to pay for your water anymore. Once you get 5 gallons a week for free, it is easy to grab it 2-3 times a week and so on. Just an idea. If you are a good customer, the LFS is more likely to give you a break.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

How much is the RO water from walmart on average? I live in the country and have a well with a water softener, the guy at the LFS said that he has a lady with a saltwater aquarium for years using her country tap water, even though her water isnt very great... No chlorine or any chemicals in out water, strait out of the water table and through a softener I believe...

Well water is the LAST thing you should put in the tank if it hasn't been RO filtered.

Just because humans and cows can drink it--don't mean a saltwater fish can LIVE in it. Our bodies can handle all kinds of metals and sulfers or other minerals in the water we drink. How many heavy metals or sulfers do you think are present on a reef? Not many. These fish and corals have not evolved to live with those types of contaminants in their water. They have no defense or filtration system in their bodies to deal with those strange chemicals in the water. How long do you think you'd survive if somebody introduced about 25% methane gas (or vapors from a carcenogenic solvent) to the air that you breath?

I think the RO water at WalMart is really cheap. If your just using it for top off water, it's not too bad. But, I'd hate to pay the bill for weekly water changes at a couple bucks per 2g jug. Check WalMart--I didn't pay that much for it here in Colorado. That doesn't mean it's even available in your area or that it will be cheap. You'll just have to go check it out.

This hobby ain't cheap. You really should save at least $100 or $150 and get SOME type of RO filter. I bought a really nice one. If you can't afford $150, then get a cheaper one. ANYTHING is better than dumping straight well water or unfiltered tap water into your reef.

It might work for awhile, but eventually, it's gonna bite you in the ass. Then you get to watch your $2000 fish tank crash and everything in it dies. Much cheaper to just knuckle up and buy a proper RO filter.

I guess you are right... Well I found out tonight my friend gets his water from his dads house from an RO unit, I should offer him a few bucks to fill up some jugs for me for top off and water changes.

I got my 6-stage RODI unit off of Ebay for $60. The RODI fairy sent Redline the exact same unit. I have no complaints about it so far, the tap water in Tucson is AWFUL, and my 6-stage unit reduces the impurities by about 98%.

Water from the Culligan RO/UV machine is 33 cents a gallon here.
Gallon jug of Great Value Distilled water is 68 cents.

I been using the water from the Culligan machine since I got into this hobby a little over a year ago.

I bought a 35 gallon per day RO/DI Kent unit that worked perfectly out of the box - very little setup, and all the seals work (NO LEAKING!). I added an adapter to my kitchen sink, which allows for hookup there, and put the unit on the counter. Cost about $190, and is worth every penny - no hauling water (this 52 year old back is way past that).

I been thinking about picking up a RO/UV with a small tank to hook up under the sink.
That way I can use the water for my tank as well as coffee and iced tee.

Back