frogspawn and neighbors

pezis4u

Reefing newb
:bowdown: for the last 5 years I have enjoyed having a 90 gallon tank with everything except hard corals. I was talked it to buying a frog spawn today. I should have done the research i am doing now before the purchase. Here are my questions. I have read that you need to keep anywhere from 3"-12" away from other corals. Has anybody done it with less the 12". Second...here's one i should already know but don't. The frogspawn can kill other corals but how about polyps, shrooms, and anemones or even sponge? I have also heard they sting people. Like an little ouch or do their stings cause people to never want to put their hands in the tank again. With such a peaceful tank for so long "Froggie" is beginning to stress me out. Any Help would be appreciated Thanx

Hey there.

FYI I have a frogspawn in my SPS tank and have an acropora and zome zoanthids within 5" to it.

Throughout the day the frogspawn will swell to a maximum size. You just don't want it to ever be able to touch another coral.

Will it sting you? Yea it can, but not really... Over 4 years I've been stung 3 times, but only when I had a cut on my hand and touched the coral. Its more like the slime on the tenticals just burns baddly if it gets into a cut... not sure I would call it a sting. Think of getting salt in a cut, maybe just a tad worse.

All that said I and my clowns love my frogspawn, one LPS I won't be getting rid of.

Brandon

Ive never had my froggie sting me. As for stinging other corals, its kind of trial and error. my will sting most corals if its tenacles get close. however some other lps corals arnt bothered by it. my branching hammer and froggie are right against each other and dont have any problems, if its to close to other corals you will see the corals draw up where they are getting stung and that tells you to move it further away. In the long run you will be very happy with it. they are one of my favorite corals, as you can tell from my picture on my threads. good luck

Back