Frogspawn dropping fingers

Kizmar

#derpface
I don't know what they're called: tentacles, fingers, arms... what ever they are, my Frogspawn frag has started releasing them. I have little light green discarded [those things] in my tank.

I've had it for a couple months. It was doing fine on the frag shelf; growing fast. I moved it to a "home" in the LR when it started to spread too far on the frag shelf (outgrew it).

In it's new home, I noticed it wasn't spreading out nearly as much as it was, maybe less light... maybe too much flow. This is when I first notice it drop a [that thing]. A few days ago I moved it back to the frag shelf. It appears to continue discarding it's [those things].

Why is it doing this? Is it dieing? Can I reverse this by keeping it in a better suited spot or is this a downward spiral?

Now that I see this happening... I'm pretty sure the other Frogspawn frag I got (different source) that never "opened" had purged all of it's finger things.

Need some advice here. I don't want this little guy to die. I like Frogspawns. :shock:

Usually, they drop their tentacles when stressed, and that's their way of reproducing/budding itself if it were to die. Once out settles in it's new spot, it should fully extend...btw, they don't like a whole lot of flow.

What are you water parameters? I've had problems with that issue when nitrates were high.

Water seems fine. I tested all the normal stuff a couple days ago.

Usually, they drop their tentacles when stressed, and that's their way of reproducing/budding itself if it were to die. Once out settles in it's new spot, it should fully extend...btw, they don't like a whole lot of flow.

I'm guessing it was getting too much flow where I put it. I just hope it stops doing this now that I moved it back to the low flow frag rack.

Well, since I've had the Frogspawn frag back on the frag shelf it's re-growing the tentacles back that it dropped. Seems to be doing fine there. Must have been too much current where I had it.

Glad to hear! I noticed that my frogspawn was shedding a few small pieces last week. My shrimp have now decided to take over the rock that the frogspawn is glued to and I think they are irritating it. Haven't decided whether to move it yet - one of the three heads doesn't open as fully as it used to but not sure whether its bad enough to move it yet. Glad to hear yours has rebounded, it gives me hope that mine will too if it gets to a point that I have to move it!

Back