From tiny crabs BIG Stone Crabs grow!

CDaubs

Reefing newb
So, back in January I restarted my tank with live rock from Tampa Bay Salt Water. As with all of his customers, my rock came with all manner of live creatures. Wanting to give everyone a fair chance at survival I was reluctant to just cast out any little crab I saw.

Well, as a result I now have several "Red" Emerald Crabs, neat; about half a dozen smaller, reddish filter feeding type crabs, always hiding and are hard to see; and then suddenly this creature showed up!!

He has tunneled under almost all of my rock, has eaten almost all of my cleanup crew and has even taken out my pesky Mantis Shrimp! So yesterday I decided it was time to go. He actually was pretty easy to catch.

I have identified him as a Rock Crab and is about the size of a 50 cent piece when he is all tucked in. So it's off to the LFS with him to find a bigger, better home; hopefully for him.

Attachments

• DSC02214.jpg
    DSC02214.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,634
  • DSC02216.jpg
    DSC02216.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 3,196
Well, since the LFS wanted nothing to do with him, and my son and I can't just kill him, we decided to move him to my sump. I'll put some other stuff in there with him and see how it goes. I don't have a refuge or the room for one. Whatever happens, happens.

Back