Frozen food questions

mudrummer012

Reefing newb
OK, ive been using flake food, but just about everone I have talked to says frozen is better. Because of this I bought some ocean nutrition formula 1.

Well...it doesn't really have any feeding instructions on the box...:frustrat:

So my questions are:

How do I feed it to the fishes?
How much of a cube should I use for my current 2 clowns?
How often should I feed?

OK, ive been using flake food, but just about everone I have talked to says frozen is better. Because of this I bought some ocean nutrition formula 1.

Well...it doesn't really have any feeding instructions on the box...:frustrat:

So my questions are:

How do I feed it to the fishes?
How much of a cube should I use for my current 2 clowns?
How often should I feed?

1. You put the food in the tank :mrgreen:! sorry i dont understand this question.
2. One full cube is too much or 2 clowns. I would feed 1/4 of the cube depending on how big each cube is.
3. I feed my tank once every other day. Some feed everyday or even 3 times per day. Its really up to you and how much excess nutrients you have in the water.

What I do is , cut the amount that you want to use. I place it on a small plate and use a small amount of luke warm water to defrost it. Then I suck it up in a baby medicine dispenser and squirt it into the tank.
Remember you dont have to use the whole cube. Just a small piece of it. I use a little under a half of the cube for a Tomato, 2 chromis and a diamond goby.
Good Luck to you !

Ocean Nutrition frozen foods aren't like other frozen foods.

Most brands of frozen foods fall apart into pieces once they melt. Ocean Nutrition foods, for some reason, are all congealed together and stay in block form. So to feed it, you'll either have to do as Ray does (thaw it out, then cut it up by hand), or buy a suction cup clip feeder with a piece of plastic mesh attached and put the cube in the mesh holder.

I don't like Ocean Nutrition frozen foods for this reason. It's much easier to use San Francisco Bay brand, and other brands (like Emerald Entree, Marine Cuisine, and any type of frozen mysis or frozen brine). That way you can just put the cube in the water (or rinse it off and drain it first) and not have to mess around with it forever.

i only but the ocean nutrition food for my hervibors and bottome dwellers (ie hermit crab)so they can nip at the cube

I would switch to san francisco brand foods. I have used them successfully for years. With two clowns, I would buy emerald entree and take out a cube and wiggle it in the water til about 1/3 of the cube melts into the tank and return the rest of the cube into the package and drop it back to the freezer. Everytime I try to cut a cube, it just makes a mess for me and it is easier to just put the food right into the tank and wave it around the water for a few seconds.

-Doc

I don't like the Ocean Nutrition either because it stays all clumpy. I usually take a whole bunch of cubes from different brands and for different fish and thaw them in a container with salt water. I then add Selcon (for vitamin C) and Garlic extract and mix it all up. I store it in my fridge and just use a turkey baster to drip it into the tank. I usually only allow enough food so that they eat it all up before it spreads around too much or falls to the sand. I then repeat a couple times till they seem slightly less interested in it.

Back