fuge and feeding items

2008pollyanna

Reefing newb
Hi, I have a good size fuge, and have put live rock, refug mud, and mangroves in this. I have snails, sea serpent, and starfish in thier. I am worried that they arent getting fed properly. The live sand and mud were not live. The rock was. I have light on after my tank light goes out.
I did have some red garcilia in the fuge, and it had started to sprout. I was trying to harvest it to feed by cleaning wrasse, and tang who love it. But, either it just evaporated or the many snails I have in their ate it. I dont think it evaporated as it was starting to get new sprouts. I am ordering more red garcilia but am worried the snails will go for it again. Am ordering chaeto for natural organic filtering as well as my mangroves. I only have barely 20 on my nitrates, and that is because I have bioballs still.
So, what can I add in my fuge to feed my sea serpent, snails, and sea star?

I keep a couple snails in my fuge, just for cleanup.

As for the mangroves, I don't believe they provide any nutrient export. The only thing I have read on them is that they will drop your magnesium levels. Chaeto would be a good choice.

i would stick with chaeto and move the snails, i mean there is no need to have them eat the algae in the fuge for two reasons, 1) nobody will see the fuge so there is no need to keep it clean and 2) if there is algae growing down there it is competing for a food source with algae that wants to grow in your DT and the algae in your fuge will win and you wont get algae in your DT

The stars will gladly take pieces of frozen fish food. Just use tweezers or feeding tongs to put a piece in one of their "hands". I feed my stars this way whenever I see them out.

Back