fuge/cocopod question

cgoodman381

can i put whtever i want?
Do beneficial bacteria or cocopods needs any sort of light to grow and reproduce? Also will cocopods get picked up by a skimmer at all? I think thats all I was wondering. :mrgreen:

copepods do not need light that i am aware of. copepods are very small and so yes they can can picked up at by a skimmer. that is usually why you want the skimmer at the beginning of the sump and the refugium at the end so the pods that breed in the refugium don't get sucked up throught the skimmer before they can go through the DT.

as already said, pods dont need any light. I have pods everywhere. In the skimmer, return pump (canister filter), in the baffles...everywhere.

They don't need light. But they do seem to breed better when they have macroalgae in their habitat like chaeto or caulerpa, which needs light.

Ok, so do I need to buy some pods, or will they just show up sometime?

They often show up as hitchhikers from rock/new additions. I think if you want a healthy supply you need to 'seed' your fuge with them so theres enouph to live and breed.

Do i have to have a Fuge to have tham? I was looking in the Marine Depot Catalog and they have HOB Fuge. Should i get this for my 10 or wait until i get my 75 up?

Do i have to have a Fuge to have tham? I was looking in the Marine Depot Catalog and they have HOB Fuge. Should i get this for my 10 or wait until i get my 75 up?

Well I think the only reason to have them is for your fish to graze on or if you have fish that will only eat them and not prepared foods. (mandarin) I could be wrong, well see what someone else has to say.

oh and i didnt really answer your question, you dont need need a fuge for them, just somewhere they can easily breed without any preds. A lot of people have been able to do it in the back of their nano's.

Pods are also part of your CUC they eat detrious if im not mistaken, they will also keep your sand bed stirred

Pods will grow in your tank whether you have a fuge or not. When they breed in your main tank, they quickly get eaten by almost all fish. Having a fuge allows them somewhere to breed where they won't all get eaten. Some of them get sucked up by the return pump and sent to the main tank, but there are always a lot left in the fuge breeding.

You can buy bottles of live pods for around $20 to $25, and a lot of people dump the bottle in the fuge when they first set it up to jumpstart it. If you don't want to spend the money on this, the pods will come anyways, but will take longer. You will get pods hitch hiking in on any live rock and macroalgae that you buy and put in the fuge or main tank.

I would definately have a sump/furge. It's a good place to hide equipments and put algae to keep nitrates at bay and grow podss.

a sump/fuge also makes your system hold more water making your water parameters easier to keep stable. If you've got room in the sump or for a HOB fuge it's definitely something thats a good idea.

Back