Full recovery for the clown

andersoned14

Reefing newb
My clown had something that looked like ich a few weeks ago. He has been in the QT with meds and here is a pic of him today. Thanks to all who help me through this, he looks great and has been through a lot. One more week in QT for good measure then he will go back to his 90gal home with 135lbs of LR to play in. I can't wait.:bounce:
clownfishsickpicsJune2010004.jpg

9970f054.jpg

He looks pretty good but let be give you a warning. The parasite will gourge on the fish and then fall to the bottom and over 200 little ones called tomites will come from each one. I would give it a few more weeks to be sure. I`ve seen many a time where the person thought the ick was gone when it came back with a vengence.

mike he has been in copper treat for two weeks and now a week without, plus I was going to wait a week. That being a total of four weeks all together, how much longer do you think, plus I have installed a uv in the DT now. Let me know I don't want to loose him after all this.

What do you have in the DT?

If you have any fish in there, the ick is still around in the DT. Also, ick has around an 8 week life cycle. The only way to get rid of it completely is take ALL the fish out of the DT and treat them all. Then let the display sit without any fish for atleast 8 weeks. This breaks the life cycle of the parasite. And then QT and treat all the fish you introduce into your DT. I know that for some people, it isnt feasable to do this and I am one of those. I just dont have any spare room to have a QT set up. But if you keep stress levels down and water quality good, fish can generally fight off the parasite with their immune system. But they will always be a carrier unless you can break the life cycle.

DT has no fish. only a few inverts. SAlly lightfoot hermitts and a star fish and mushroom rock

That's great! Then you should give your clown a few more weeks in QT to make sure everything in the DT is completely gone. It would suck to go through all that work and have to repeat the process again.

That is good and since you have a QT set up already, QT and treat all your fish you introduce. But none of the water. Medicines will kill your corals and other inverts even at low doses.

Back