Future reef tank?

Jroxsox101

Reefing newb
Right now I have a 26-36 gallon FOWLR tank.
40lbs sand
22 lbs live rock
200 marineland bio-wheel filter
200watt heater
1200 maxi-jet powerhead
1 green chromis
1 false percula clownfish
1 Mexican turbo snail
levels are all in check, and the fish are healthy.
It's cycled for about a month, but I've only had fish in there since late last week.
Since I've put so much money into it (around $300), I'm waiting for my birthday for people to get me things. So that gives the tank alittle over 4 months, since my birthday is in December. Whether I start a reef tank now or later, I definitely want to upgrade the lighting and get a skimmer. What is a good skimmer for a 26-36 gallon tank, that has a reasonable price? ($0-$200) Also, what is a good light that will support most corals, if not all? And since my tank has a hood, do I have to get rid of it to accomodate the lighting, or is there something that will fit on the hood?
Thank you very much(:

It depends on the type of hood you have but you can probably retro fit it with T5's. You will want to shoot for at least 4-5 watts of lighting per gallon to sustain corals.

Also look into Octopus brand skimmers. They are great for the money.

You are probably better off just buying a new light fixture and forgetting about the old hood. A set of T5s would be perfect, and would allow you to keep anything you wanted. What is the length of the tank?

You will probably have to get rid of the hood altogether.A T5-HO fixture with four bulbs and individual reflectors will allow you to keep anything.

I know this skimmer is out of your price range but it is probably the best HOB skimmer on the market.
oct-sr CV-SRO-LX1000S Premium Aquatics

A Bak-Pak will probably be good too if you don't overstock your tank.

Back