Game Meats

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by kbuser92, Jun 9, 2013.

1. kbuser92

kbuser92 Breeder

So I think its about time we put our guns together and share how we fix up our game meat. I'm looking for a way to make deer chops, specifically.

kbuser92, Jun 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. kbuser92

KevinMs

I'm from the south so we either grill it or fry it and deer falls into both of those cooking categories. Some of the old timers speak tales of letting the cut of deer soak in buttermilk, coke, beer, Italian dressing just to name a few. The purpose, according to them, is to draw out the blood and gaminess and tenderize a little. I never bothered with the long term soaks because I like the natural flavor of the meat. Also, deer tenderloin and bacon wrapped around jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese..One of the greatest deer dishes eva!!!! Also if you have a decent meat processor who wont charge you an arm and a leg, then you can beat some good old deer bacon burger.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    KevinMs, Jun 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. kbuser92

kbuser92 Breeder

I made steaks tonight. Marinated 3 hours in oil, lemon juice, garli, salt&pepper, Worcestershire and then used some regular steak seasoning. I may try cream on them chops just to keep it simple, sounds good.

What about upland birds? Just like chicken or anything special?

kbuser92, Jun 10, 2013
  4. kbuser92

KevinMs

Well, down here bird choices are limited. Duck, dove and Bobwhite. I havent done much with duck but dove is another story. A big ole mess of dove breast and dumplings (which also applies to squirrel as in Squirrel and dumplins) cant be beat. There is also fried dove breast smothered in gravy over home made biscuits. Some talk of bacon wrapped dove breast on the grill as well. Just a few ideas from the south.

KevinMs, Jun 10, 2013
  5. kbuser92

kbuser92 Breeder

Dove and dumplings sounds really good. We mostly take pheasant, but not many around anymore, mostly dove and quail, I believe. Ill have to try getting some of them this year, too.

kbuser92, Jun 10, 2013
  6. kbuser92

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

In my book, there's only 2 ways to cook venison. Either in a cast iron skillet or the grill. I don't like any seasoning on my venison either. Unless of course its gravy with a side of fried potatoes and cat head biscuits.:D
    Pretty much the same with Dove and Quail. The wife likes to wrap those in bacon and cook em in the crock pot too with the veggies. Pretty decent, but I like the wild flavor better.
    Beer battered squirrel is good too. Just your regular beer batter for fish and deep fry. Of course squirrel and dumplins is hard to beat.
    Another one of my favorites is squirrel ( or rabbit ) rolled in cornmeal and deep fried. Serve with pintos, fried potatoes, nibblets corn and cornbread and you've got a meal fit for a king.

yote, Jun 10, 2013
  7. kbuser92

kbuser92 Breeder

I made the steaks in cast iron, just like they should be. My wife has never had anything other than deer jerky and hamburger in chili, so I wanted a lot of the game out so she would like it.

kbuser92, Jun 10, 2013
  8. kbuser92

Greenman

All my deer meat is turned into steaks. I wont eat deer any other way.

Greenman, Jun 10, 2013
  9. kbuser92

chichimom79 reef junkie

I've never been a huge fan of venison, but I love to try new foods. Watched a show over the weekend where this restaurant owner was serving muskrat. Ever tried that, fellas?

chichimom79, Jun 10, 2013
  10. kbuser92

Greenman

I've had Groundhog, Racoon, Snake, Squirrel, Rabbit, bear, and a ton of other stuff. Almost all of it I always fix over charcoal Mmmmmmmm.......... Heck i pick rabbits outa my back yard with one of those 1200fps air rifles.

Greenman, Jun 10, 2013
  11. kbuser92

kbuser92 Breeder

Never had squirrel or rabbit. But I am fixin to go get some elk, moose and deer. And some quail, pheasants, dove and duck.

kbuser92, Jun 10, 2013
  12. kbuser92

kbuser92 Breeder

How about pigeon? There's tons of them little bastards round here.

kbuser92, Jun 10, 2013
  13. kbuser92

KevinMs

Ya know, thats a good question. The look like overgrown doves and they eat seeds and grains. I've never tried it but unless there is a good reason not to, definitely wouldn't be opposed. This thread is making me hungry and reminds me of the Bizarre Foods show on travel channel.

KevinMs, Jun 10, 2013
  14. kbuser92

kbuser92 Breeder

Have to admit that I love that show.

Here's a good one, Kevin. How about lions, zebra and giraffe? I plan on getting to Zimbabwe or South Africa in the next 5 or so years, before my daughter grows up too much. I'd like to hunt elephant, too, but that's a lot more money.

kbuser92, Jun 10, 2013
  15. kbuser92

Muskrat tastes like greasey mud and stinks. Don't matter how its cooked.

yote, Jun 11, 2013
  16. kbuser92

They are about the same as Dove. Just bigger. Plus in most places theres no closed season on em.

yote, Jun 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question