Gammistes Blenny Meiacanthus grammistes

Jenna09

Reefing newb
aka. Striped Blenny, Striped Fang Blenny, or Striped Poison-Fang Blenny.

My LFS has one of these guys for sale and the guy who runs the fish department says I should get it. I have looked it up on live aquaria and got this info:

The Striped Blenny is also referred to as Gammistes Blenny, Striped Fang Blenny, or Striped Poison-Fang Blenny. It has alternating black and yellow stripes that run the entire length of the body.
It tends to do well in an aquarium if housed in a 30 gallon or larger aquarium with live rock. The live rock provides places to hunt and feed on small crustaceans as well as places to hide. It is not usually aggressive unless the tank mates appear to have a similar shape as it does. Its fangs are more of a defense mechanism used for biting an aggressive fish back.
The Striped Blenny diet consists of chopped crustaceans, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, and frozen food preparations for herbivores.
QUICK STATS Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Semi-aggressive Reef Compatible: Yes Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025 Max. Size: 5" Color Form: Black, Clear, Yellow Venomous: Yes Diet: Omnivore Compatibility: View Chart Origin: Indo-Pacific, Maldives Family: Blenniidae

Anyone with experience with this type of blenny? I was thinking of going with a Midas Blenny and I dont know if I like the sounds of this one or not...but I like the different colouring.

Thanks
Jenna

PS. If I get it I will name it Dracula lol.

According to my LFS it is a rare blenny...he didnt tell me the price and I havent seen it yet. I am going to have a look at it today.

I may put it on hold until Sunday if I like the way it looks.

Hopefully someone here has some experience with them!

Jenna

Do you think that this type of blenny would eat decorative shrimp? I wanted to get some decorative shrimp in the next few months.

I had no idea that blennies were venomous! Until I read the description of this little fella of course!

Jenna

Go for it Jenna.Those are awesome fish and will normally leave shrimp alone.Especially if the shrimp is pretty close to the same size as the blenny.

I am going to have a look at it tonight. If it looks healthy I think I might go with it. I always have the same fish and I always name them the same names...boring I know but I guess I dont do well with change lol!!!

I will let you guys know if I get it tonight!

Thanks
Jenna

Back