Garden Eels =(

Odanhammer

Reefing newb
Look i know many people here either already have dealt with these creatures before , OR currently have them.

But as the past 2 days has shown me , i clearly didn't know enough about eels.

First off i'll explain i do have a lot of experience with fish , i have enjoyed a fish tank since i was 14 years old , and have been doing so now for about 15 years. Most of the time it has been fresh water chiclids , but over the past 2 years ive been working on a salt water fish tank. Its changed and grow from a 10 gallon tank to now a 40 gallon tank which houses a maroon clownfish and a dotted benny , along with a emerald crab and a brittle starfish , it has been going good , however i really wanted to put a eel into a tank at one point.

I decided to get a garden eel at a locale store , it was doing good for a while , burried itself in the sand , then when i got home last night it had decided to bury itself in the powerhead , truly upset that i might be , i did want to have one and was being succesful with it up till that point.

Today i went out and got a new one , what a horrible amount of rain we got today i might add.
After introducing him to the tank , he swam around a bit , got into the rocks and i went to get some food to eat. After eating i came back to see Mr.Crab playing with Mr.Eel not so nicely. having him in a headlock , while the maroon clownfish was eating him like spagghetti.

At this point i feel horrible for the poor creatures. I did do some reseach , i have not seen anything to suggest that either the eel would go into the powerhead , nor the crab grabbing him and eating him.

Just a sad day... and i really wanted to share the experience so someone out there might take this experience and use it to better the life of another eel.

Sorry to hear about your eels. :( They are normally kept in a tank on their own, without any other animals, because they are difficult to keep and can be very sensitive.

Back