George's 30 Gallon Breeder Project

reefer82

Reefing newb
Finally kicked it off this weekend. I was iching to get the tank wet so here it is. not much so far but I'll be updating as progress is made.

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

cut the bag open in the tank trying not to get fine particles into the water column the result was a pina colada cocktail mix. Grrrrr.. :frustrat:

IMG-20120513-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20120513-WA0005.jpg

Wondering how long ill have to wait for the dust to settle.

Update on equipment let me know if this is good.

2 425gph Koralia pumps
100 Watt Hydor Theo heater (fits perfectly in my fuge.
Marine Land Lights

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

Medium CPR AquaFuge 2

I will be getting a skimmer soon.

You will be really happy with the Marineland's. It's an excellent little light for the price point, especially if you got the dual cord one (don't know if they're out yet). But they will let you keep just about anything you want to keep in a 30, including SPS and nems. Do you have any stocking plans yet?

You will be really happy with the Marineland's. It's an excellent little light for the price point, especially if you got the dual cord one (don't know if they're out yet). But they will let you keep just about anything you want to keep in a 30, including SPS and nems. Do you have any stocking plans yet?

As far as fish probrably,

Yellow/Purple dotty
Prawn Goby
a clown fish
maybe another Goby

As for corals I really like the

richordias, Yellow, Green, Purple Polyp Zoas,
probrably will get a frogspawn

As far as clean up crew I'll go with some nass snails, Cerths ,2 fire shrimps sand sifting star an emerald crab.

For the future I want to get a nem but I heard they are very hard to keep.

I would definetly think about getting a bigger heater. 100 watts in a 30 is a little small. They are rated for up 25 gallons max. You have a 30 plus a sump. I would think about a 200 or 300watt

I would definetly think about getting a bigger heater. 100 watts in a 30 is a little small. They are rated for up 25 gallons max. You have a 30 plus a sump. I would think about a 200 or 300watt

On the box it said rated 30 gallons. I\ got that one becuase it fits right in my HOB fuge, its very small and its one less piece of equipment I have to see in the display tank.

I don't have a sump I have a CPR refugium.

Wnet out to my lfs and got some live rock. Still havn't finished buying all the live rock but this will have to do the job for now. It's about 16 lbs. for live rock.

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

Ok so I get the feeling I'm running into a little problem here, In one day I have had a significant increase in algea. A very sudden drop in PH Salinity and nitrites went up a bit.

Up until this point the only drastic thing that has happened is that we had a little accident with the fuge overspilling a little due to the expansion of some cotton pads I put in the fuge that cuased it to stop the water flow back into the display tank. When I realized this I immediately turned everything off including lights and pumps.

After I cleaned up the mess i thought I plugged everything in but I didn't. I forgot to plug my flow pumps and heater so I only had the light running.
Can someone give me advice as to how my PH salinity have gone down.

The tank has only been filled with pre mixed water by the pet store and here are my params.

1337796875491.jpg

My salinity is a 1.022 tested with a hydrometer.

Here is what the tank looks like from one day to another.

1337796875491.jpg

1337796889551.jpg

1337796912546.jpg

I run the lights from about 6:30 am to 9 PM at night as there is no one in my house to turn them on after I leave and I get home late.

Please help I'm trying to start off on the right foot. Should I do a water change or should I get PH buffer.

Ok so I get the feeling I'm running into a little problem here, In one day I have had a significant increase in algea. A very sudden drop in PH Salinity and nitrites went up a bit.

Up until this point the only drastic thing that has happened is that we had a little accident with the fuge overspilling a little due to the expansion of some cotton pads I put in the fuge that cuased it to stop the water flow back into the display tank. When I realized this I immediately turned everything off including lights and pumps.

After I cleaned up the mess i thought I plugged everything in but I didn't. I forgot to plug my flow pumps and heater so I only had the light running.
Can someone give me advice as to how my PH salinity have gone down.

The tank has only been filled with pre mixed water by the pet store and here are my params.

View attachment 15482

My salinity is a 1.022 tested with a hydrometer.

Here is what the tank looks like from one day to another.

View attachment 15482

View attachment 15483

View attachment 15484

I run the lights from about 6:30 am to 9 PM at night as there is no one in my house to turn them on after I leave and I get home late.

Please help I'm trying to start off on the right foot. Should I do a water change or should I get PH buffer.

do not do anything!!! your tank is cycling let nature take its course!

whats gonna happen is ammonia and nitrite will go back to 0 and nitrate will rise, (normally takes 3 weeks) then and only then should you do a water change. remember your cycle is done when your ammonia and nitrite go up then back down to 0. as far as ph and salinity when your cycle is done your first couple of water changes will balance everything out

Last edited:
So just leave the algae alone its growing like wide fire on the rock and it looks like that start of hair algae becuase all the rocks are fuzzy looking and have little strands of hair on it.

Last edited:
Back