Getting Another Clown?

Djturna4thakidz

Reefing newb
I added two clowns right after my tank cycled. A couple days later, one died. They seemed to be attached. Now the remaining clown seems to be less content. It has been several weeks since the other clown died, I was thinking about getting another as a companion. If I add another percula of similar size, will they become friends? How does this work? Thanks so much for the help!

You can definitely add another clown, but I would avoid adding one of a similar size. Clowns are hermaphroditic. When they are of a similar size and they pair up, they have to decide who is going to turn into the dominant female, and who is going to stay the submissive male. This dispute over dominance can turn into fighting, and can lead to the clowns injuring each other.

If you have two clowns of different sizes, they already know who is the bigger, dominant one, so they won't fight over it. The larger one becomes the female by default, and the little one stays a male.

So when you get your second clown, try to find one that is either much larger or much smaller than your existing clown. That won't give you a 100% chance that they won't fight, but it will greatly reduce the friction between the two fish and increase the odds that they will get along with each other.

Also, if you have a percula now, stick with another percula. Different types of clowns will normally fight with each other, sometimes to the death.

If you have two clowns of different sizes, they already know who is the bigger, dominant one, so they won't fight over it. The larger one becomes the female by default, and the little one stays a male.

I fought you said I should get two small ones?

If you get two little ones and add them at the same time, they will squabble a bit but they should be fine.

Its when you have had one that has been in the tank by itself for a bit that you need to add one of a different size

Back