Getting back into Reef Keeping with my Husband of 2 months!

littleangel_dawn

Reefing newb
Hi there! I am getting back into Reef Keeping (this will be my 4th reef - the other 3 I got rid of cause of my ex and the 3rd one was going really well.. I miss it). My new guy (now husband) is very excited about me having my Reef Tank back (unlike my ex who didnt care for it). Anyways, when I get my money in December (if not before then) I plan on getting a 120 gal tank. I love Acroporas! I plan on having corals as well as a Naso Blonde Tang, Yellow Tang, Copperbanded Butterflyfish, Maroon with White Stripes Clownfish, Black & White Clownfish, Blue Damselfish, Blue Velvet Damselfish, a Longnose Hawkfish, and maybe a few others (thats just what I have been researching so far).

Anyways, I need help as far as what do you think of the fish list for a 120 gal reef and what equipment do you think I should be investing in for the best clarity and health of my tank??

With this list of fish.. what would you recommend for a minimum tank size?

What is the ratio of light watt/gallon you would suggest and what is a minimum of water-turnover rate you would suggest?

My last tank was a 55 gal and I believe it had a 48" T-5 HO 216 Watt Odyssea Light (with 2x 12000K Daylights, 2x True Actinics, and 4 Dual LED Moonlights). I also had 1x 850 GPH Koralia 3 Hydor Powerhead, 1x (unknown) powerhead 320 gph, a 305 Fluval, and a (unknown) protein skimmer.

With all of that, my 55 gal tank seemed super clear in clarity to the point where my fish looked like they wee floating in thin air. I want my tank to be that clear again but I don't remember all of the recommended ratios for minmum needs.

Here is an old pic of my 55 about 1 month before I got rid of it (due to my ex).

Attachments

• 55 gal saltwater 1st stages.jpg
    55 gal saltwater 1st stages.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,243
Welcome to the site.
You may not want the damsels, they can be mean. I've heard the maroon clown's are aggressive as well.
Check craigslist or kijiji for people getting out of the hobby to save money on things like live rock and possibly equipment.

Hello and welcome!!
+1 on the damsels...
Also, I would pick one kind of clownfish and stick to it. More than a pair and you run a very high risk of bullying.

When you start your 125, I'd ditch the canister filter. They can be nitrate factories if you don't clean them out regularly, and the live rocks will be all the biological filter that you need. The canisters will just add extra unnecessary work.

Welcome to the site, and glad to see you got a more supportive hubby! Mine wasn't interested until I started having him build me stuff for the tank LOL That was a 45g. Now, I have a 125g with a sump room LOL He's totally into the hobby.

He is so much more supportive! *Thumbs~Up!!* :bounce: In fact he keeps telling me to get the stuff that "I Want" not just the stuff "I Need". I tell him I am thinking of the 125 gallon tank, he tells me "Why not a 150 or bigger, get the tank you want!!" :^: I LOVE HIM!!!

LOL Yeah, when I first got my 45g, I said I wanted a 75g. Then he said the same as yours -- why not get a 125? :D He would've gone higher if I found a cheap 150g lol

Welcome to the site. I love my 2 small reefs the thought of a water change on a 125 gallon bores me to tears LOL.

I dont know how reef safe those bigger fish are that might be something to look into when picking corals.

Hello and Welcome!

If you plan on keeping the naso long term, i would high suggest getting a 8 ft tank. Those guys are some of the biggest you can buy.

I would also avoid the copperband. They will eat your corals, and they really dont have a good survival record in captivity because they dont adjust to eating frozen very well.

But other than the damsels and only going with one type of clown, you list seems great and will do super awesome in 8 footer.

+1 on the canister stuff as well

+1 - Hannah, I think a Naso would be happiest in a 8+ ft tank. I'm going to have to figure out how I'm going to handle that situation as mine grows. He's about 5-6 inches now and there are times where he seems cramped and unhappy in my 180

I am not completely sure of whether or not I want to use the canister filter again. In the picture, its actually empty of filters and it was just being used to add some gph to the water turnover rate. I figured it wouldn't hurt since it was just sitting around the house.
I do believe that I am starting to think of a minimum of 150 gallons for my new reef tank. Would the above fish list be ok in that and what kind of equipment should I be looking at for minimum requirements? I don't think I will do a sump (unless the tank I get has predrilled holes in it) because I don't want to deal with the hole cutting and pipe plumbing and I know that other people have done reef tanks without sumps.

Ya but you'd be sooo much happier with a sump. It allows you to hide all your equipment, you wouldn't need the canister filter since you'd have a return pump for flow allowing you to make some money by selling it and getting an awesome skimmer. You could probably pay someone 20 bucks and they'll drill holes for you.

Welcome. Correct me if I'm wrong but your EX told you"'me or the tank" and you choose wisely, right?

Not exactly.. I was visiting my sister for awhile when she was about 6 months along to help her out until after my neice was born. I had my 55 (pictured earlier) with me and sold it to go back to my ex (he didn't care for anything I had) and then afterwards I found out that he was with someone else (when we were suppose to be still together). :frustrat: :grumble: I regret the decision to this day and my new guy (my husband) will not ever let me make the same mistake again!! So my 150 (when I get it) will be permanent and a very slow build! :mrgreen:

Ya but you'd be sooo much happier with a sump. It allows you to hide all your equipment, you wouldn't need the canister filter since you'd have a return pump for flow allowing you to make some money by selling it and getting an awesome skimmer. You could probably pay someone 20 bucks and they'll drill holes for you.

If I find a tank presrilled or someone who can gaurantee not to break my tank drilling it then I will go with a sump. Do u think a 20 gallon would work for a 150? Also, would that actually raise my total to 170 gallons for livestock capacity?

If I find a tank presrilled or someone who can gaurantee not to break my tank drilling it then I will go with a sump. Do u think a 20 gallon would work for a 150? Also, would that actually raise my total to 170 gallons for livestock capacity?

A 20 is probably a little small depending on what you want to put in it. If you can get at least a 30 you'd be happier.

And yes and no to the fish capacity quesiton. It increases total water volume so you'll have much more stable conditions with more fish, but the fact is your tank is still only a 150 and that's what your fish are swimming in. So the space in the 150 is more the limiting factor.

For drilling the tank it's critical to know if it's tempered glass or not, if it's tempered you can't drill it as it'll shatter. Maybe ask your LFS (local fish store) if they'll drill the tank for you.

look around when wanting to drill.. there are places here that will drill for 15 bucks but wont guarantee their work, but for 25 there are companies that will and replace the tank if they break it.. just like anything else in life shop around..:D and I agree a 20 gallon will be a bit small for you..

Back