getting gid of fish- useing fish

dgorner

Reefing newb
getting rid of fish- useing fish

hi:
ive got two damsels that i used to cycle my tank, that was 3 months ago. now i want to get rid of the damsels but i have to much live rock that they hide in when i try to catch them. so i decided that i will use other fish to get rid of them. i know it sounds cruel to some but i dont want to disrupt my ever blooming live rock. they are the little blue damsels. i dont have a tight fitting lid so eels are out of the question at this time, but my question is, what are some aggressive fish that i could introduce to my aquarium that will eat the damsels?. and are safe to my live rock?. :death: :sfish:
thank you to all that can help. [email protected].

Last edited:
well you have no quarantee that anything is going to eat them first off. second, this new fish you probably wont want either lol. So your stuck again. I found the easiest way to catch mine was to go in at night, after the lights have been off for say 2-3 hours, my fish are chillin and I can scoop them up whenever. Otherwise you could try to go fishing, alot of people do that. Or take out half the rock. most people end up having to do this method.

fishing that sounds like fun, need some really small hooks though, there only 3" max. i tried the night thing but they are all the way in my base rock, and thats where they chill. i would gladly give them to lfs, but cant catch them. im thinking as small as they are there has got to be a fish that would love to eat them. lol

Sounds cruel but I have had to resort to it in the past.

Look for barbless trout hooks.

They are really small and don't have a barb on the end. Depending on the size of your damsels it might not work still, but I had to resort to this for a Jellow Headed sleeper goby once.

Fish traps also work, I caught a lyre tail anthias and a cleaner wrasse with that method in the past.

Just some suggestions.
Brandon

so appearently there isnt a fish that i could purchase as a tank keeper that would do the trick, i was hoping there was a barracuda type fish that i could purchase. i meen i know they get way to big for my 55 but i am upgradeing in december to a 400, so a smaller one might suffice for now. atleast till i can buy all the filteration and equipment i need to start the 400.

Hello dgorner... I got my black damsel out by straving it a day or so and when it came up for food (flakes), I got my fishing net ready and caught him while he was eating. :) Try that if you want. It worked for me. Good luck!
Jack

yeah if your going to use your net, go ahead and leave it in the tank for awhile lol. So they can get a lil more accustomed to seeing it around.

Back