Getting my tank back in action?

nmt6789

Reefing newb
So I have 46 gallon saltwater tank with some rock and it has sort of been neglected for about a year. The other day I bought a new filter and did a 95% water change. God only knows what is going on in there but the two fish that I have are alive (Damsel and maroon clown).

What measures should I take to get it back to where it should be?

So I have 46 gallon saltwater tank with some rock and it has sort of been neglected for about a year. The other day I bought a new filter and did a 95% water change. God only knows what is going on in there but the two fish that I have are alive (Damsel and maroon clown).

What measures should I take to get it back to where it should be?

95% water water change will probably go through a cycle - That much water change was probably not necessary if the fish were still healthy. Do you have a protein skimmer & Live rock? Please provide more details on the equipment & water parameters.

Thanks.

Whats the test results for ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,phosphate,calcium,alkalinity,salinity,and temp?
Type of lighting and the wattage,age of the bulbs.
What kind of food are you feeding?Frozen,flakes,pellets?How much and how often.
What kind of filtration are you running?Hang on back filter,canister,sump?

I don't have a test kit but I am going to pick one up tomorrow.

The bulb is a coral life 50/50 w/ attinic blue.

The filter is a hang on the back

make sure you have sufficient live rock for bio-filtration and run some carbon and phosguard in your HOB filter (toss out those carbon pad things they try to tell you will clean your water, they last about 20 minutes. Make sure you are using RO water for your changes and a good salt mixture and you will be fine

-Doc

Hi and welcome! I agree with what everyone else has said, first thing's first, pick up your basic test kits tomorrow: pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and salinity. Let us know the results and we'll go from there.

If there is nothing spacifically wrong with the tank there is not much to do here (if it ain't broke don't fix it). A good cleaning of the equipment and small frequent water changes should do the trick.

The large water change was a bit much but if the fish did not show signs of stress from this it is not likely the water in the tank was to far off what your change water was.

If there is nuisance algae problems with the tank shut down the lights for as long as it takes for the new bulb to arrive. They are much cheaper through online vendors. Its time to change the bulb.

As any algae dies off from lack of light perform small water changes every other day or so.

Back