Getting Rid of Aptasia

I had an outbreak recently and Peppermint Shrimps worked for me.I've use a syringe with boiling water before.If its just a few your trying to kill,remove the rock,if it has no corals on it and squirt it with a little boiling water.

i just tried the boiling water a week ago on one and it worked but im planning on getting a pepeprmint shrimp once my lfs gets some more i had another aptasia pop up my green star polyps rock. i scoped out there tanks and there full of aptasia :grumble:

they come as hitchikers in rocks and in frags of corals...thats the only way to get them into the tank..is advisable to get rid of them cause they flourish near the corals and consume their nutrients , killing the corals..and they are ugly too..good luck!!

I've heard that you can put aptasia in your fuge and they'll do a pretty good job of helping keep you nitrates down.
I dont that to be fact,just what I read.

Yeah.From what I read though,if you use a UV sterilizer it will kill the spores before they get back into the DT.

Buy a bit of Joe's Juice, turn off your powerheads, dose it once, kiss it goodbye forever. Don't take the risk. Good Luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Nope it's aptasia, Freak. People will fill their fuges or sumps with them and put a UV sterilizer downstream to make sure none get back into the main tank, and supposedly they do a great job.

I dont want aptasia anywhere near my tank. NUKE EM!!!!! While you still have a fighting chance. Get a couple of pepermint shrimp, there nocturnal so you probably will never see them eat the aptasia but they get the job done.

Back