Getting rid of black stuff

MerLexSum

Reefing newb
Our tank has been plagued with cyanobacteria. We've given it multiple treatments with stuff called Chemiclean Red Slime Remover and water changes, but we're not sure it's been completely purged from the tank. Are there any invertebrates that would be helpful in clearing the stuff, and if so, which ones would you recommend? Any advice would be welcome. :bounce:

I would recommend adding more water movement, also consider getting a phosphate test kit and potentially a phosban reactor. Look at the food your feeding and make sure the Ash(Phosphate) % is very low to none.

After that if all else fails use Boyd Chemiclean.

To answer your question directly the only snails I'm aware of that will eat cyno are Astrea snails. However, they won't be able to fix the problem it sounds like your having and I would recommend you trying the above suggestions.

brandon

different conchs eat cyano also but definetly would watch feedings and test water, i had same problem until i switched food and added hang on fuge and more circulation to tank took about 2 weeks and been great ever since

I had the same problem I was getting cyanobacteria. I added two little fishes phosban and nothing happened. This week I added PURA Phoslock. I already see the cyano is turning a white color. I also added two more pumps for circulation and all seems to be getting better.

Make sure you remove the dying cyano so it dosen't pollute the tank. Dying things are terrible for water chemistry.
Water movement is the key to keep cyano down. Just my 2 cents.

Tony

Last edited:
jcg432 said:
I had the same problem I was getting cyanobacteria. I added two little fishes phosban and nothing happened. This week I added PURA Phoslock. I already see the cyano is turning a white color. I also added two more pumps for circulation and all seems to be getting better.

The media will only pull out so much phosphate, if your having serious cyno problems you will most likely either have to change the media out a couple times or do a couple large water changes prior to hooking up the reactor.

Keep that in mind. The best way to tell is get a phosphate test kit. You want your levels below .03 ppm.

Back