Getting Rid of my Eels... Need Advice...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
So After lots of contamplation, I have decided to get rid of both my eels... Reason being is I want to have some of the symbiotic relationships that we commonly see in our tanks, such as a watchman goby and a pistol shrimp... Cleaner shrimps setting up cleaning stations, and my clowns with their soon to be anemone... My eels are still really small, but they will of course get bigger and start to hunt more than they already do... I cannot keep any inverts in my tank and this has become a problem... My question to you all is this: Can anyone recommend lots of smaller fish to really liven up the tank. Such species as PseudoChromis, some gobies, and possibly some dartfish... I have been looking online at the strawberry pseudochromis, the royal gramma basslets, and purple firefish... Can anyone recommend some of their favorites and what your experience with these fish have been... Another question that I have been trying to find an answer for is can you keep multiple speciems from the same family of fish, mainly, can I keep both a yellow headed watchman goby and a diamond watchman goby, or say two different kinds of blennies? Would it matter if one of the gobies was a shrimp goby and the other a sand sifting goby? I appreciate all your input... Also, besides the eels, I currently have 5 blue/Green Chromis, 2 Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns, a Coral Beauty, and a Blonde Naso, in the 135, so without the eels there is plenty of room for lots or smaller livestock... Thanks Guys...

You can keep multiple types of gobies with no problems.

I really like gobies, I've had firefish, pseudochromis and dartfish. Neat fish to watch, and they are easy to keep alive. Blennies are the same, cool fish. You could get a school of firefish or dartfish.

I have only had the red firefish. If you like the purple better, go for it. I have had blue gudgeon gobies (which are hard to find, I've only seen them in my LFS once), and it was cool, added something blue to the tank. Right now I have two scissortail dartfish, which are really cool to watch, even though their colors aren't all that impressive (blue/gray), but the way they move is cool.

As for schools, stick with odd numbers. Fish seem to do best in odd numbered schools.

Unless the Purple firefish are already a pair than get 3 or more.Less bickering.Fridmanis Pseudochromis are pretty,check those out also.Only go with one blenny.I like the Tailspot and Twin Spot Blennies the best.

Your tank would not be complete without a school of Anthais.Of course,Bartlett's being my favorite.Beautiful and colorful fish.I like the Dispars and Hawaiian Bi-Color Anthais too.They are pretty timid so be careful around adding any fish including dartfishes around Maroons.

So will the maroons be nasty with all of the smaller species... My blue/green chromis don't seem to be bothered by the maroons, but the Maroons I know will attack your fingers when you play around in the tank... Also, how many fish besides the current inhabitants would be a safe number to add? Basically, the only other "BIG" fish I am looking to add is another Tang, possibly a orange shoulder. I am looking at something that would get along with my Naso, would not grow nearly as big as the Naso and something that would add a lot of color to the tank. Maybe a Purple tang, or a sailfin... But besides that, how many of the smaller fish would be safe... I am difinately add more inverts, like harlaquin shrimp or Sexy Shrimp... ANy thoughts on these...

Last edited:
Harlequin shrimps no unless you want to feed it sea stars.I've heard of people keeping a separate tank for the stars and occasionally cutting off a leg to feed the shrimps.Too difficult,I would stay away.

Sexy shrimps are fine,they are real tiny so no Pseudochromis or any fish that eats small ornamental shrimps.They like to perch on corals,cool little guys.They also hang out together so 3 or more would be better.Fire and Cleaner shrimps don't bother them.

Its a good possibility the Maroons will harass fish that are smaller and timid.I finally got rid of my Clarks,I will not add any clowns again til they are the last fish.

grab yourself a school of anthias for sure. I like the bartletts as well I am also a fan of purple queens, if you can get them to eat. You can mix schools of anthias if you like as well

-Doc

Hey Doc, have you had any luck with keeping Bicolor Dwarf angels in a reef system... I know they are notorius nippers of SPS, but was just wondering...

ALARM!!! ALARM!!! avoid them at all costs. they are SOOO pretty and seem so gentle, until they get near an LPS coral or SPS and then.....BAM it is like a starving fat guy at a free buffet - it all gets eaten. I have seen them take a softball sized torch coral down in 1 day...that is right 1 day. needless to say, I never tried one again. Everyone I know who has reports the same thing. They are as reef safe as a racoon butterfly or clown trigger. FOWLR tank only with those puppies. even I am not stupid enought to try that one again.

-Doc

true. good point. In that case, let me tell you about this dangerous girl named Biff.......:bounce:

-Doc

I wasn't thinking about putting them in, but I wanted to know just how bad they really were... They are cool, but I won't be getting one until my fowler predatory tank, with my eels...

Back