Getting Started Again

Kully3xf

Reefer Madness
So found a great deal on a tank on CL. Holds water, drilled, the guy had a really nice tank before he tore it down. Either way, picked up tank and stand for 200$ :D
So i'm starting a new tank. So far i've got for it 2 dimmable LED lights from ebay(these things are actually pretty legit), mp10, couple koralias, phosban reactor with all the GFO i could ever need, a crap load of salt, a new bigger RO/DI system (this time i stepped up for the DI, great choice). and some other random stuff.

Will be ordering rock sometime next week I think, marco rocks as always. I'm thinking to do nearly all dry this time to be somewhat eco-friendly, i've always done nearly all live rock.

I've got my quarantine tank set up, never did that before and crashed a few tanks.
Sump will be coming after the rock... DIY or Premade, opinions?!

I've learned the hardway the saying "He who buys cheap buys twice", so this time, i'm taking my dear sweet time, and doing this right.

2upw85k.jpg

2njijuu.jpg

2ekon00.jpg

Lots of room down there!
34so77r.jpg

I've learned the hardway the saying "He who buys cheap buys twice", so this time, i'm taking my dear sweet time, and doing this right.

Good for you! I sure took my sweet time....maybe TOO sweet LOL -- took me a year before putting my first fish ;)

I always prefer to DIY so I can custom-fit my stuff where I want it, but if you have the funds, go for a nice pre-made one :D

Hello there! So i've made quite some headway, I have all the rocks, all the lights, all the filtration, the sump, the skimmer, 2x heaters, magdrive return, etc. This tank is going to be really nice, but I just ran into my first problem tonight, was wondering if anyone has any ideas! I'm all out.
So I bought a proflex model 2 sump, upto 75 g's and this thing is absolutley HUGE! it takes up nearly my entire stand haha, but it's got a HUGE refugium, tons of pods i'm going to be able to grow. Any way, it's very tall, and with the combination of my tank being drilled, i have a very short run to make

2aepatc.jpg

Basically the problem lies in that the bulkheads are barbed, and fitted for a large tube, and the otherside is not. What do? I have a ton of pipes, and glue, etc. Should I put a barb section into the intake of the sump and make a tight turn, or should I drop down below the intake and come back up... IDK HELP hahah

Every time I move a tank, I always replace the bulkheads. Might be overkill, but it helps me sleep better at night. I would put new bulkheads in and run your pipe.

Also , I would move the electrical from below the plumbing. You never know when a leak could start.

So here was my solution, I took the bulkheads out and inspected them, cleaned the area and replaced the washers. Then I hooked up a rubber sleeve to the intake and then an elbow. Works great! Water tight, and flexible solution.
w2hkxy.jpg

Other than that, Got the sump installed, thank god, thing is HUGE
First Half
s6k96r.jpg

Second Half
2na91th.jpg

Second half has my skimmer, GFO reactor, and mag7 return pump.
Middle section is hidden by the support bar, and has a large refugium section.
Quick FTS of it being filled... my RO tubes are JUST long enough to dump in the bathroom sink, and dump into the tank... no buckets needed! Yay
op0caw.jpg

I also moved the Power stuff to the outside of the tank, it's going to be my best option, because the sump is to big, there is no room down there!

I'm so excited to start stocking this big boy

Looks great.
Just check the screw clamps regularly to make sure the vibration has not caused them to loosen.
What are your plans for the lights? Are you going to hang them from the ceiling or build a frame?

Basically the problem lies in that the bulkheads are barbed, and fitted for a large tube, and the otherside is not. What do?

If the fittings are smooth and larger than the hose hole, I use a heat gun to warm the hose and force it over the fitting an inch and a half or so. Then a simple hose camp does the job. I haven't leaked a drop this way.

poksal, that's exactly what i did. I heated the tubes in boiling water and put them on the barbs, then clamped. Works on my liquid cooled computer for the past 6 years and that's a big deal if there's a leak.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the lights yet... that's still a problem i've got to figure out, any ideas??! I can't hang from the ceiling, as it's concrete.

I don't know your skill set and tool box.. but you may think about aluminum angle sticks cut and bolted together to form a frame to hang them from.... I'd use some of the angle to form feet that set on and outside the tank frame. If you mount your LEDs to them solid you may be able to lift the whole assembly off if need be. Paint it black with a good epoxy paint of top shelf spray from HD. or.. if you cut everything to fit you may be able to get a weld shop to stick them together so they are solid...for a few $$ or a case of beer works often.

Does that tickle any neurons?

I have aluminum welder and a whole shop and mine are not done any thing near as well as I suggested....LOL

EDIT: if you work on your own cooled system you can handle this!!! I haven't gone that route yet.. my has lots of fans and they are plenty loud as it warms up. ..mostly the vid cards.

Last edited:
That would be a good option, could get some tig practice too! That's along the idea i was going on, it's gotta look good if it's going to be exposed.

Maybe i'll make a DIY thread for LED hangers! Noice

good idea! Plenty could use the thread... why didn't i think of that.. and WHY haven't I used my skills, shop, and talent to of made better ones...LOL

.. is now on my list... of lists..in my head... LOL... which is good because my brain can digest it over the next few day in the background... and you can relate!

Last edited:
That is really cool and I love the look.... but I think the joints are ... not sturdy enough. With some better kind of joints this would be kick ass!

That said.. it looks better than mine by a long shot.

poksal, what do you mean not sturdy enough? should i reinforce them? I don't have to many options with the height of the sump. I don't have any room to move it anywhere... i'm open to suggestions!
Eitherway, she's finally filled all the way up and been running for over 24 hrs now, no leaks, no loose things, nice and quiet! putting in a durso tomorrow after work (just need the last elbow piece, wound up using it for the plumbing underneith). I'm so excited.
I'm doing a natural cycle, and i'm ok with the wait. I need to recouperate some $$ while this guy cycles anywho. So no live rock, i've had bad experiences. Long natural cycle, and i'll add some other form of coraline to color the rocks, either just with coral, or some other way. i'm going to go VERY slow with this, i'm quarenteening everything for a month at least, i'm taking no chances here. I've got the marineland filter running with just a bio wheel up top during the cycle so once it's cycled i can put it on the quar. tank. good idea?
Any way some shots :)
2mzl7yr.jpg

73m9aq.jpg

We are talking about the light frame right? I'd think if that is tubing that a bent piece of steel shoved into each joint would make a better corner at the top. Then something to cover the corners for looks.. ? That thin piece of metal at the corners scares me from the way it looks in the picture. .. but... LOL... I did about the same thing... so I am way out of line... that is funny..

Did you say you couldn't hang them from the ceiling? That set-up begs to have the lights hung. I can't because I have a ceiling fan over my tank.

Your stand looks VERY similar to mine. OR... I guess our frames are similar to most all of them.

I often wish I had drilled my rock and put acrylic rods through them to make sure they never tumble.. are you going to do something like that while you have the chance..hint..hint..

Also speaking of drilling.. I wish I had drilled some holes in my LR for coral frag plugs to fit into. It would have made it much easier to place new frags securely.

I wish I had your patience.. you are going to have a pristine system. I have plenty of hitch hikers.. and that is cool but worries me too.

-randy-

Last edited:
oo0o poksal i thought you were talking about my plumbing XD
yeah, can't hang from ceiling because it's concrete. that would be some permanent hanging lol.
I've thought about using the PVC tube and zip tie method, but I change my rockwork ALL the time... practically every time i buy new coral. it would be hard once you limit your self to certain groupings of rockwork...
And yes, patience is key for this tank. Last tank had so many hitchhikers, and bad algae, it eventually killed my tank. (got a bad strain i couldn't tackle). Learn from mistakes yes?

Back