Getting started--what am I looking at here?

My 48g has two K-2's and it seems to be just about perfect.
I think I would have too much current in there with the 3's.
I wouldn't want my corals and stuff hanging on for dear life, lol.

OK, thank you. Next, can anyone recommend me good lighting? Will I have to build a custom hood to fit everything under or can I find hoods and bulbs online or at the LFS to give me approx. 5 watts/gallon? Any suggestions on specific equipment?

Oh ok, thank you. And with the lights, how do they work? I was reading about lighting and something said you need lights that take the place of the sun and then lights that take the place of the moon?

While I'm at it, I have another quick question (sorry). What's the difference between cured and "uncured" live rock?

Also, with live rock and live sand no fish are necessary for the cycle right? After the cycle's done then you can add fish? Or is it still advised to get damsels or another hardy fish for a cycle? I'm sorry for all the questions.

cured live rock means that it wont cause an ammonia cycle and it has no die off on it, as uncured rock means it will cause an ammonia spike and it has alot of die off on it. and no you dont need fish to cycle the tank, the uncured rock will do that for you. and cured live rock will usually have your tank skip a cycle. also you dont need any lights for the night time to mimic the moon, its not need but you can have it if you want

I really like the moonlights and they are a really cheap addition in relation to the cost of the main lights. For instance my T5's were a few hundred bucks but it was only $30 for them to add the 6 moonlight LED's with a dimmer control. It looks badass and I hear it helps create a more realistic environment for your tank's inhabitants.

So the moonlights will go right on the same fixture as the T5's? Or are they on their own fixture? Again... stupid questions...

It all seems so complicated for me right now but I know it'll become clearer when I start getting my hands dirty. I just don't want to make any mistakes and have all my questions answered BEFORE I get started.

Back