ggNoRe's 29g Biocube HQI

Ok, ok. But I must warn it is NOT pretty! :(

*viewer discretion advised*

Well, since I had my son (4months ago) I stopped taking care of my tank like I should and basically went from doing 20% water changer once a week to once a month. And now it shows, bigtime.

My nitrates went from 0 to about 10. I got tons of algae.. bubble, hair, BYROPSIS, and a few other kinds. Also, in the last month or two my SPS have all started to take a dive.

Because of all this for about the past month I have gotten back to doing water changes weekly got new purigen and chemi pure and have tried everything I can think of to kill the byropsis. I think my latest attempt may be helping which is a HEAVY dosage of Kent Tech-M. Although, the byropsis is far from gone it seems as if the Tech-M has at least killed it's growth. And today for the first time I caught my emerald crab eating some off of my Conch snail.

Here's the pics of the madness (mind you my water change is scheduled for tomorrow so it's pretty damn ugly).

DSC02112.jpg

DSC02115.jpg

DSC02116.jpg

RBTA doing good, GSP growing across back wall :)
DSC02117.jpg

Clowns hosting clam rather than RBTA :question:
DSC02114.jpg

My fav coral
DSC02113.jpg

I think he is the culprit of introducing byropsis! :grumble:
DSC02111.jpg

Yet another example why it's much easier to maintain your tank from the beginning rather than battling the effects after.

On the bright side other than the aforementioned everything else seems to be living as well as growing. And my mandarin has been surviving for months eating pellet food from the sand!! :D

And if someone can identify this thing that popped up between my shrooms the other day I'd appreciate it:
DSC02118.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the new problems :( I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old so I can totally relate)

The good news is I dont think it will take too much to get you back up to where you were...

Grab some Corona's, a buddy, and clean it up :)

Hahaha Thanks for the encouragement! It's my birthday weekend so although there will be plenty of beer probably won't be doing all that much cleaning. :D

I don't see it as all that bad...i've struggled with bad tanks in the past and yours would still beat mine...looking forward to seeing how it goes...have a great birthday!

Hmmmmmmm.I have the same thing in the middle of my zoas too.Tomorrow I will take a pic and compare.Some type of coral is my guess because it isn't doing any harm.

Nice refugium pics GG!Haha

Sorry about your tank gg, but I think you can get in back in shape! ;)

I'm actually going through the same thing with my Biocube 14 right now. I "experimented" to see if I could get by with one 35% WC once a month. The Biocube is now covered in hair algae and red slime. I've cut my lights back to 4 hours a day, am using Algaefix, and have gone back to regular WCs...

Whaaaaat! A coral biff can't identify! :O I was thinking like u saltwaternoob figured I hear about people who do 1 WC a month all the time and it wouldn't be that bad. Boy was I wrong!

Nope,I calling it a long tentacle plate coral.That is what the polyps remind me of except it's attached to a rock.

BTW,that pic was taken straight from my camera phone and uploaded straight to Photobucket.

Smartphones rocks!My first time having one!!!!!!

I did buy the RODI from that place for like 60$ and its been working great. Still makes 0 tds water.

By heavy dosing kent magnesium I was able to kill off the byropsis. However, forward to about a month after it died and its starting to grow back. Also, there's another big dilemma. I had another light fixture break on me. Once again biocubes customer service was great and they sent me a replacement for free. I decided to go with the stock bulb this time around instead of replacing it with my 14k phoenix... bad idea. Seems it was way too strong to use without screens. My last 2 SPS are now completely white and my open brain is bleaching bad as well. My clam is also no longer opening up all they wayI suspect due to the lighting. On top of that my mandarin who eats pellet food just up and dissapeared. Since he's really big and easy to spot in my little tank I'm willing to bet he passed away and decayed already. Hate to come in with nothing but bad news but figured it was time for an update.

Back