ggNoRe's 29g Biocube HQI

Blah. I think I may have drip acclimated too slowly. After I was done the water in the bucket that they were in was pretty cold, felt like it was in the 60's. Hope everyone makes it! *crosses fingers* 30 mins later... More bad news.. While trying to wedge one of the zoa plugs into a rock the zoas flew off the plug so I placed them in a spot I was hoping they would stay once I turned on the powerheads. They didn't. They went flying in the water column and straight to the back of the tank wedged under a rock. After about 15-20 mins of trying to save them with a pair of tweezers they ended up burried in the sand in an unknown location and I have sand flying all over the tank from me scurring it trying to find them.

-1 zoa frag

Hope the sandstorm I kicked up doesn't hurt the others..

:(

Last edited:
Blah. I think I may have drip acclimated too slowly. After I was done the water in the bucket that they were in was pretty cold, felt like it was in the 60's. Hope everyone makes it! *crosses fingers* 30 mins later... More bad news.. While trying to wedge one of the zoa plugs into a rock the zoas flew off the plug so I placed them in a spot I was hoping they would stay once I turned on the powerheads. They didn't. They went flying in the water column and straight to the back of the tank wedged under a rock. After about 15-20 mins of trying to save them with a pair of tweezers they ended up burried in the sand in an unknown location and I have sand flying all over the tank from me scurring it trying to find them.

-1 zoa frag

Hope the sandstorm I kicked up doesn't hurt the others..

:(

That sux.
But now your half way to being a full fledged reefer.Just gotta flood the floor some how and your there.:mrgreen:

Pics!:

GSP
IMG_4500.jpg

Closed Jap Zoa's
IMG_4497.jpg

Ricordea
IMG_4493.jpg

Blastos
IMG_4486.jpg

Yote was telling me that in chat earlier, thanks for the confirmation. Lfs employees... Well I like how it looks but will prob end up moving it out eventually since I read up on their long tentacles and real estate in my small 29g is precious. I pulled out my flashlight while the lights were out to check on my tank and saw my peppermint shrimp all up on the blastos frag I got. The blastos seems to have lost some color, is it possible the shrimp is harming/eating it?

Aint no need to remove your galaxea unless you just dont want it.You just have to be mindfull of the water flow where its placed.Its sweepers are at the mercy of the currents and just go where the flow takes them.
Are you 100% sure that you got pepperment shrimp and not camal shrimp? If they are pepperments,they were probably just cleaning around the blastos heads.

Then I will probably have to move the galaxea since it's right in front of the return atm and after the zoa disaster yesterday coral placement gives me nightmares.:yikesu: Bluezooaquatics had it labled as a peppermint but the google images of the two are so similar I couldn't be 100% sure. The one I have is more clear than red. It does seem however that he was just cleaning it as the frag looks ok today. Also, the polyps came out today of the zoa frag that wasn't burried alive. :mrgreen: I'll get sme pics up later when the MH turns off, it creates too much glare.

Last edited:
I found the missing Zoa's!!! :bounce: However, they are in the hardest spot possible to get to..:frustrat:

IMG_4549.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg

My plan of action is after work/gym Imma try to pry them out with...

chopstix!

Any better ideas would be appreciated as always. :Cheers:

Plan chopstix worked! :bounce:

After about 10 mins of fumbling around with the chopstix with no avail I got my wife to stick her tiny little hands in there witht the chopstix and she had them plucked out in 2 mins. I asked her to just leave them in the sand for now which is where I hope they will stay.

IMG_4551.jpg

I also stopped by a LFS and picked up some new stuff:

2 Rics:
IMG_4552.jpg

1ORA SPS don't know what exact name it is but it's really bright green:
IMG_4553.jpg

and 4 more nassarius snails

As you can see I'm in the middle of the acclimation and trying out Biff's way. :P

Got some super glue but I'm so terrified that when I turn the pumps back on the corals will go flying all over the tank.

:shock:

Should I try to glue those zoa's to a rock that was recently saved? They have no base (ie. rock or plug).

Well ofc when I turned the pumps back on that zoa frag went flying. I swear it's like a parachute in a hurricane. So this time I wedged it under a rock and push up a sand mound on it til I can think of a better idea. Going to go have dinner now.

IMG_4554.jpg

They make an epoxy that is a purple color so that it blends in with the corraline algae. It hardens underwater and can be used to cement rocks together secure frags, whatever. You can buy it at Live Aquaria.com. Nice looking frags BTW and glad you rescued the zoos.

Thanks for the kind words and help! :mrgreen: I've tried using aquamend and now superglue as well unfortunately the only thing I can get them to stick to is my fingers.

Very glad to say that when I turned on the lights today everything looked very happy with polyps opened and growing!! :^:

Finally got a pic of Sam at feeding time, looks like he turned to a more bright vibrant red :) :
IMG_4581.jpg

Right side of tank:
IMG_4577.jpg

Left side:
IMG_4576.jpg

Galaxea:
IMG_4572.jpg

Blastos:
IMG_4570.jpg

Zoa's:
IMG_4567.jpg

Rescued Zoa's (Still conjuring a plan to better place them):