Gideon

markrj

Reefing newb
My daughter named him. He seems to be very happy. He dug his cave/tunnel under the rock to the right.

I have yet to see him eat. What will indicate that he is in fact eating?

GideonTheGoby.jpg

I am going to the lfs to pick up some frozen food. I have frozen Mussel would he like that? What would be best for him?

All I have currently is pellets and some free flaky stuff that came with the 5 gallon bucket of Instant Ocean. Should I try to target feed him? I think he will swim away if I try that.

I would stay away from the dried stuff, it tends to cause water quality issues and isnt as healthy for your fish as frozen is. The mussels you have would a tasty treat if you could get them chopped up to small enough pieces and they are uncooked. For the frozen food, its best to get a variety of different things. It allows picky eaters to be picky and offering a variety of food helps make sure that the fish are getting all the nutrition that they require.

I actually used to gauge how much food to put in the tank by my goby's belly :D when he gets this lump in his stomach like he's preggers, I know I put in enough food, since he's at the the bottom strata.

Thanks! I will try some chopped up mussel this afternoon. Then it's off to the lfs to pick up some other frozen foods.

I target fed him some thawed in tank water Mussel that I have in the freezer for my Figure 8 Puffer. He loved it! I used a turkey baster to basically shoot it to the bottom for him.

I feel much better now that I have seen him eat.

And eat with a vengeance! lol

I have 2 of these guys in my 55g and I love them! They keep the sand super clean.

They are HUGE pigs trust me if you put the food in there they will smell it and come flying out of that cave so fast.

Do you have a top on your tank? I had a lot of trouble with mine trying to jump out at night until I got my moon lights which seem to keep them from doing it at all now.

I would hate for it to be on the floor when you get up in the morning.

You really shouldnt have solid lid, it traps in heat, prevents gas exchange and seriously cuts back on the PAR readings for your corals.

Check out the DIY section for lots of cheap, easy ways to build screen tops

Back