Glad to find You

aimless4ever

Reefing newb
Forums are the best way to learn.
We have been at this crazy hobby for about three months and have more questions than answers.
I am sure being here will prove helpful.
Thanks
AmyJo:^:

Hi and welcome, fellow Tusconan! Feel free to post any questions you may have.

Of the stores in Tucson, the only one I can recommend is Southwest Saltwater on Speedway.

I have a 30 gallon tank with 45#s of live rock, numerous polyps, 2 fish, 4 crab, and 4 snails and just bought 3 corals
Do I really need that ugly protein skimmer?
We do not want anemones.

you need a protein skimmer no matter what, it is the most important piece of equipment you will buy. and please tell me you didnt add all that in one day

No -- we have been adding VERY slowly to the tank
She's doing great so far, but I read somewhere that the skimmer removes necessary chemicals ??¿

the protein skimmer removes fish poop from the water and keeps the water in pristine condition, it does nothing but good for a tank

I agree about the Southwest Saltwater -- we have been to every saltwater seller in town and found them to have the most helpful and knowledgeable staff.

I agree about the Southwest Saltwater -- we have been to every saltwater seller in town and found them to have the most helpful and knowledgeable staff.

Oh yeah, don't even bother with any of the other stores. They will try to sell you stuff that you don't need, just to make a buck off of you. Southwest has the healthiest livestock and will special order you anything you ask them for. And they are always willing to help out. Rob and Bill are great -- they've helped me more times than I can count.

By the way, some in the hobby will tell you that a skimmer is not needed, some will tell you it is an absolute necessity. You really need to keep up with the water changes if you don't have a skimmer.

Back