Glass For Saltwater Aquariums

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
Hey do you guys know where I can order glass panels to build my own tank? I have been looking around but I can't find anything. Thanks

Do a google search for local glass shops in your area, if you can't find anything there, HD or lowes might sell glass panels

Thank you Brian...

I made an estimate of what it would cost to get the glass from them. (Excluding Polishing the edges and shipping)

180g 72x24x24

3/8 Plate Glass. ( Is that thick enough for a 180g or a 240g aquarium? )

Starfire Front & Sides = $384

Starfire Front = $336

Regular glass = $264

240g 96x24x24

Starfire Front & Sides = $480

Starfire Front = $432

Regular glass = $336

Im considering my options, I requested a quote from then which will include shipping and polished edges. Also I would need additional pieces for an Eurobracing or could I go a different route and used something else... ???

If you are willing to pay that much for just the glass, is there a reason why you are not just buying a pre-made tank?

Well I have looked at pre-made tanks and for a standard 180g their over $1000... Thats why I was looking into building my own because it looks like it would be cheaper?

The 240 from glass Cages pre-madre is $1024 thats without shipping.. Thats also getting the reef ready tank with starfire in the front, but I have seen other more expensive..

does it have to be new? if you were to look on craigslist or some other forums online you can fins ridiculous deals on tanks. Save some money there, that way you have more money to spend on other areas of your setup

You are right -- tanks that large are very expensive brand new. Do you have any LFS in your area? Mine always have used tanks of various sizes that they get from people and resell. I got my 240 with a stand for $100 from my LFS.

does it have to be new? if you were to look on craigslist or some other forums online you can fins ridiculous deals on tanks. Save some money there, that way you have more money to spend on other areas of your setup

Not at all...but I have been searching on craigslist and other forums and nothing. I have found a few but their to far as in other states and they don't want to ship and I don't even think it would be worth it for a used tank.. I found a great deal on a tank with stand but there was another person interested in the tank before me and the guy sold it to that person.... trust me I have been searching everywhere for weeks now and nothing..

You are right -- tanks that large are very expensive brand new. Do you have any LFS in your area? Mine always have used tanks of various sizes that they get from people and resell. I got my 240 with a stand for $100 from my LFS.

I wish my LFS where that cheap here... There are 4 LFS where I live and 3 are owned by the same person and they are very expensive. I seen used tanks under 100g for like 500 with a stand and canopy. I will have to give them a call and see if they have something.

Some people have had success building their own large tanks out of plywood. You may want to google plywood tanks and see if that looks to be up your alley.

Some people have had success building their own large tanks out of plywood. You may want to google plywood tanks and see if that looks to be up your alley.

I seen some impressive tanks made out of plywood but Im not sure if Im up for that just yet... :mrgreen::question:

I would just be patient, something will pop up on Craigslist. It always freaks me out when people start thinking about building their own tanks especially in the 180g size. Those things are under alot of pressure. Make a mistake and you've got 180g on the floor and a bunch of dead livestock. I'd just use the time to start saving for new lights.

Hey guys last night I went on craigslist like every other day :) to see if someone had posted a tank for sale. I found two tanks of 220g. There was a tank for $500 but it didnt specify if it was drilled or not and it had no pictures and it was about a 45 minute drive from where I live. I went to see the other tank listed and this one was for $325 drilled with dual overflows and it said it was 3yrs old. I call the guy and he told me a little bit about it and I told him I was interested in the tank that I would go see it today after I got out of school. Well when I got out I gave him a called and told him I was on my way. The tank is in excellent condition, it looks like it has no scratches and it does look 3 years old or maybe newer. He had told me the tank had not leaks so it looked like a great deal. So I bought the tank because a tank the size for that price doesn't show up everyday lol :bounce::D. I will post pictures later when I get home.

Back