Glass or Acrylic?

kevinsimons

Reefing newb
I've NEVER liked my 55 Acrylic - it's lightweight, which was great when I carried up 20 stairs during startup, but beyond that, I think it's a pain. Is glass easier to clean? My arms get sore from scrubbing algae and coraline off the glass... and now I have a big ol' scratch right across the middle of the pane where my algae pad picked up a piece of sand (I knew this would happen)..

SO... is glass significantly easier to keep clean? I know it's more difficult to scratch glass, I know it's heavier... but the time spent cleaning the acrylic is wearing me down. It's not a matter of IF I do a change to glass - but when, since I know have a big scratch right in the middle of the window... should I do it now, or does it matter if I put it off? I understand doing a tank move like this will likely result in a mini-cycle (we'll cover that as the inevitable move draws closer)... the important question now is: NOW OR LATER?

glass is the best way to go. Acryllic is a huge pain in the ass. I would never get it unless I went with a custom tank that was over 400 gallons. Glass starts to get less desirable when the thickness gets over about 3/4 of an inch and the view starts to look green. acryllic is more clear in thicker pieces than glass. For a 55 gallon? glass all the way. You can't scratch it near as easy and getting coralline off with a blade is a piece of cake

-Doc

i will never buy an acryllic tank again my 50 is acryllic and now it has scratches all over it. i just dont want to tear it apart to fix the scratches.

Why bother to fix the scratch on your acrylic tank if you're going to change to glass.Go glass and never look back until they come out with scratch proof acrylic.

When you do switch up the old acrylic tank will be a great sump though! Glass is the way to go for everything!

So, are there advantages to doing it now vs later? If I do it now, do I reduce the risk of a mini-cycle when I move everything over to the new tank? or will the mini-cycle likely occur no matter what? Tank has been running since June 07.

So, are there advantages to doing it now vs later? If I do it now, do I reduce the risk of a mini-cycle when I move everything over to the new tank? or will the mini-cycle likely occur no matter what? Tank has been running since June 07.

To help prevent a mini cycle after the move use water and LR from the old tank.

If you use old sand and old rock and a bit of old water, you will probably avoid a minicycle, but there are no guarantees. Sometimes just moving rocks around can trigger a minicycle.

Switch it out now.
Just use the sand and rock you already have,and as much of the water as possible.
When I switched from the 55 to the 75,I didnt have a mini-cycle.

Back