glass thikness

joshuashih1

Seahorse Owner
how thick dose the glass need to be for a 55-70 gallon tank I have a tererieum for reptiles and wanted to use it for a saltwater tank its around 55-70 gallons but I wanted to make sure it was strong enough to hold water with everything inside?

if I leak test it and it holds water for 24 hours then is it ok to use? and I could put new silicone over the old silicone on the inside just in case?

I would test for at least 5-7 days with a full load of water. Try to do it outside or in a garage on a stand, then you have a better chance at seeing leaks without risking damage to your home.

if I leak test it and it holds water for 24 hours then is it ok to use? and I could put new silicone over the old silicone on the inside just in case?

You cant put new silicon over old silicon, it wont bond properly. you will need to remove all of the old silicon and then re-seal the tank with new silicone.

so when you say remove all the old silicone do I have to remove it to the point that the glass falls apart?

Yes, you will have to strip the silicone then clean the glass well so there's no trace of the old silicone.

If the terrarium leaks, you are probably better off just buying a new aquarium. A new 55 gallon tank isn't very expensive, and it's probably worth the peace of mind not having to worry if your homemade silicone job is going to hold 400 lbs of rocks and water in. :)

how thick dose the glass need to be for a 55-70 gallon tank I have a tererieum for reptiles and wanted to use it for a saltwater tank its around 55-70 gallons but I wanted to make sure it was strong enough to hold water with everything inside?

I would also think about the center brace. Most terrarium's that I have seen don't have one. The weight of the water pushing out on the glass even if it holds for a few days will give out over time.

Back