Glass Vs. Acrylic

This isnt that bad if you have the right tools. Ed and I moved 'The Twins' ( a pair of 180 gallons) with no issues

A bit off-topic, do you need additional flooring support to keep larger tanks (100g and up) on upper floors?
Or will standard home construction conventions support this much weight on a relatively small footprint? (Assuming the home was properly built)

I'm in the process of making the move from Acrylic to Glass.

The acrylic is just too easy to scratch or haze with general cleaning. Something I have never had an issue with on a Glass tank.

Maybe I am heavy handed cleaning, but the Acrylic hasn't worked out with me.

A bit off-topic, do you need additional flooring support to keep larger tanks (100g and up) on upper floors?
Or will standard home construction conventions support this much weight on a relatively small footprint? (Assuming the home was properly built)

As long as you dont put it on the center of the room youll be fine or put 500g+ in one area.

You want to be perpendicular to the floor joists, and for really large tanks doubling up on those joists is not a bad idea. I did this with my 180, my dad and I did it in about an hours time and $65 or so worth of materials

Most residential homes in the US are built to 60/40 floors. That's 60 Lb per Square Foot of live load, and 40 Lb per Square Foot of dead load. You your dog and anything that doesn't just sit in the same place is called "live load", a fish tank, a couch, a tv ect are called "dead load". Total up your gross weight and divide by the square feet of your tank if your really want to know. Or just wait till your house implodes.

Last edited:
Acrylic is definitely clearer then the standard aquarium glass tanks. I do believe it is around 84ish percent transparency. Because of its iron content which makes the glass look green. Acrylic is around 96percent. But you can get starphire glass which is around 94 percent.

Back