Glass vs. Crate?

Neat idea steelcity. That's why I didn't want to cover my entire tank with an eggcrate. It did seem as though it would effect the lighting.

I used to have an open top and then I got my teminik wrasse so I had to cover it. I was using egg crate but it cuts down alot on the light. So today I made new tops out of the bird netting/wild life stuff from the garden section at lowes. Went the hardware section and picked up the window frame kits. You cut the aluminum fram with a hacksaw. Insert your corner pieces and lay down the netting. Then insert the spline material and pull the netting tight as you go. I really like it. 1/4" squares so it's still doing the job of the egg crate but it lets so much more light in. Very easy DIY project.

Great idea steel!

The window kit has pretty much all you need. It comes with 4 corners so if you're making more than one "window" grab an extra pack of the corner connectors which should be right beside the kit. You can use a screwdriver to push the spline in but I just grab the cheap plastic spline tool for $2 buck which makes it go faster. The bird netting comes in large rools which sucks because you don't need much.

Back