Gluing corals?

cumminz

Reefing newb
I have a very small frag about 1 inch by 2 inch that has about 5 polyps on it and it always ends up upside down. Help?

what kind of polyps?

You can attach them to a rock with superglue gel.If they are already on a rock than you can use epoxy or mixture of epoxy/superglue gel to attach the rock to rock.

Any of the cyanoacrylate glue will work.Make sure it's the gel type and not regular super/crazy glue.The gel type is thicker,easier to work with then the runny regular type.Use it to attach zoas to a rock,put a blob on the base of the zoa and stick them on a rock.This works best if the zoas and the rock is remove.Like I said earlier,if the zoas are already attached to a small rock/plug then epoxy works better.

I agree, any of the super glue gels work but have found the Loctite brand to be best. Haven't found a better method to attach corals yet.

Chuck

Try taking the frag out of water and applying the glue to it, then you dunk the frag in the water and the gluw should go kind of white, dip it a couple more times and then stick it to the rock and wiggle it a little to get the glue to attach, then hold it in place for about 15 seconds, it should hold fast. After gluing a couple hundred frags and spending a couple months with your fingers covered in glue you start to develop a technique, but its individual to everyone, I am just giving you mine.

I usally glue the coral to the rock then put it in a bowl that has my tank water in it. It usally set real quick. I let it sit in the bowl of saltwater for five minutes to be sure it took. if it did in the tank it goes.

Ya that was a pain in the ass. couldnt get it to stick, but i did almost get my fingers stuck to the side of my tank (oh my!)

lol, im still getting the hang of gluing em in place under the water. I try to do it out of the water if i can remove the rock im wanting to glue it to.

Ya i got 3 more small frags today the the swap. Got me a candy cane with 2 heads for 5 bucks, a devils sun burn for 5 bucks with about 10 polyps, and a green star polyp with about 30 heads. Im still waiting for them to open up but my lights go off in 5 minutes so i will have to wait until tomorrow to see them. I did take the rocks out to glue them because i wasted alot of time and glue trying to do it underwater.

grats on the frags, I only picked up one piece of Zoa's for $5, im getting a killer piece on Saturday from Doc, cant wait Doc! :) Cumminz where were you sitting during the slideshows and stuff?

Back