Gluing PVC pipe

Yup that's the stuff you want. It actually melts the pipe a bit so it's all one piece when it cures, as apposed to glue which would just stick the them together and probably end up leaking or falling apart eventually. Anyway once it cures it's perfectly safe, but until then make sure you're in a well ventilated area cause that stuff is STRONG. As for the cleaner, I've used it before, but I don't think it really mattered either way. I assume it would be more important for lines that will be pressurized or something like that where a strong flawless bond is more necessary. As long as you have it though might as well.

The cleaner part it just that.. it cleans the pipe. (I never use it)

The primer is needed (either purple or clear... purple is needed for inspection,, I dont think your tank will be inspected.. haha).. The primer is needed for the chemical reaction.. softens the pvc.

The glue.. it just that, it glues the fitting to the pipe. But to have a successful fitting you need to use the primer (idealy when the primer is freshly applied.. I usually wait 30sec or so before I glue). I am sure there are plenty of success stories without the primer, but I would not do it.

Good Luck

I like to always install the two parts off several degrees and twist them into position. It assures a seal just in case you didn't get the glue all the way around.. and if happens.

And yes, the purple primer is an excellent way to tell which joints you glued and which you did not.. some joints I don't want glued so I can change or disassemble them later... such as water flow tubes.

I am thinking the ones that direct the flow in tank. If you don't glue that last 90 on your return, you can swivel it to direct the flow where you want.

Back