gluing soft corals

Nimboli12

Reefee
I just bought a Pink Cadellia soft coral foro my tank. Id like to know about either "gluing" the fragged coral in the rock or just putting the cotral in a crevice. Do corals need to be acclimated to the water and salinity as fish?

How many of you glue your corals to your rock?

I've been fragging quite a bit lately. I acclimate all my corals, float for 15 minutes then dip twice, but that's just my preference. You can use regular superglue but make sure it's in, "gel" form. It is inert and won't harm anything. There are a lot of ways to attach corals to rocks, including sewing, gluing, or banding them down. Do what works best for you.

I always use super glue gel, soft corals are tough sometimes if they dont have a base because they can be really slimy. I recently got my anthelia tree to attach to a small rock by using a rubber band after a few days he was attached and I was able to remove it.

I have lost many a coral by just sticking it in a crevice so I dont recommend that.

I acclimate for about 15-30 minutes and often dip them in fresh water for a few seconds to get off any unwanted bugs.

Ok so you take the rock that you want to attach the coral to out of the water then superglue it, let it dry and put it back in?

You definitely want to acclimate. Corals can be even more sensitive than fish about changes in water chemistry. You also should look into a coral dip. One I have heard a lot about is Coral RX. Good for removing unwanted pests.

I have the coral Rx. Its funny you bring that up because I was just reading the website directions on dipping the coral. I thought the dip was for corals that have been in the tank but have parasites or pests not for new corals. But I guess its for both. It says to 'SHAKE" the coral in saltwater for a few minutes after the dip. That seems a little hard on the coral.

Anyway do I get this superglue gel at an aquarium store or just the usualy superglue gel at a hardware store? Sorry to sound so bilwildered but I can't believe superglue doesn't poison the tank.:shock:.

I use Dollar Store super glue GEL. Thats qhats important. Do it out of the water, give it a second to hold and put it back in.

For mushrooms and such, cut them and put some sand and LR rubble in a container. Dump superglue in and just put the frags in. They will float down and stick. Make sure there's no water movement. They will hook on to something eventually, this is the best way I've found. The superglue gel will hold them but, it only takes a small amount of flow to blow them off.

Super glue was developed to close wounds on the battlefield, so all the components had to be non-toxic. Any type of super glue will work, but gel is a bit easier to deal with.

And do shake the coral, that is when the bad stuff will come off. The coral will be fine.

Well, yesterday I tried super gluing my new coral in place and another fragged coral. It was kind of a mess. I tried both ways of taking the LR out of the tank to glue and leaving the LR in and gluing in the water. I got glue on my fingers and it seemed to solidify quickly. I don't know if my new "Pink Cadellia" is still alive It is glued to the rock but half of the coral is kind of hanging down. I'lll send a pic.

Since I have live sand can I just plant the fragged coral in the sand?

This is the Pink Cadellia coral I glued yesterday.. It was standing up straight When I put it in the tank.. By the way, is there another name for this coral? Is it dead? Could I have just planted it in the sand? Im confused about fraggs. Aren't fraggs just pieces of rock you buy your coral on? How can you glue a coral to rock if its not attached to anything, just raw?

Anyway, there is now a pinkish color liquid in the waste cup of My Protein Skimmer. (pic is coming in a minute on (equipment) thread. Can you guys explain to me why some soft corals are attached to little disks or fraggs? Also, if a portion of a coral dies but the rest is alive can I cut the dead off and the rest will survive ? Im sure this probably happens in the ocean.

I think your coral is a type of leather coral, and it is common for leather corals to sag over at times. Hopefully someone else can tell you more than I can, or look through other threads on leather corals - there was one a few days ago about a sagging leather coral

Im sorry. I don't get what your talking about Amba. When you say "Cut" them then drop the frag in. Im putting corals in already attached to a frag. Can you please be a little more specific? Sorry to be a pain but Im new at this.

Also, I just ordered a beginner soft coral pack from LA. Should be getting it tomorrow. Forget these tropical fish stores. They'll tell you anything. I mean, has anyone ever heard of a "Pink Cadellia" soft coral ? Has anyone seen a bright pink soft coral?

Sorry I thought you meant you were trying to secure a frag of coral, not a plug. Just wedge it in between some rock or in a crevice and it will grow out.

I don't think you will have much luck super gluing soft corals -- they tend to slime up. For leathers like yours, it is easier to take a needle and thread, thread through the base of the coral, and tie it down to wherever you want it. Once it attaches, you can snip the ends of the thread that remain.

Back