Goby and Pistol Shrimp

Many people have shrimp goby pairs in their tanks. Things you need to be aware of though, are although they can pair up it is not 100%. Also, there's always the chance that the shrimp won't make his burrow in a place that you can view them from. However, it is a very cool interaction between the two to observe.

There is a pair at my lfs I really want $30. I read that article and it said to place the shrimp first where you want it. HOW ?? do you place a shrimp? Like hold it in a net and let him out where you want him?? Cause I would hate it if I couldn't see them.

If you have a large tank, shrimp will tend to stay in the area that they are first introduced. In a smaller tank, they'll move around a bit more because the overall territory is smaller.

You really can't do much about it if you see them... They are animals and will go where they feel safest and happiest, even if that's out of your sight.

I've actually talked with LA about that, when they sell pairs of fish, they're not mated (laying eggs). They are just a male/female pair "that seem to get along well." That's why there website only says pair, not mated pair. Also, they aren't necessarily "paired" (sharing a burrow) with the shrimp there.
I'll try to see if I saved the email they had sent me about it, it was almost 6 months ago.

Another thing to consider is the constant popping that pistols make.It will get old after a while.
Guess I'm lucky in this area; Had never heard the "popping" until one night I saw the Emerald Crab sitting in a crevice, jerking! He moved, THEN I saw the pistol shrimp come out. E. Crab must have been in the way...
P.S. the pistol and the Yellow Watchman seem to have a different tunnel all the time.

Guess I'm lucky in this area; Had never heard the "popping" until one night I saw the Emerald Crab sitting in a crevice, jerking! He moved, THEN I saw the pistol shrimp come out. E. Crab must have been in the way...
P.S. the pistol and the Yellow Watchman seem to have a different tunnel all the time.

That would be kinda cool to see. I was also thinking a yellow watchman goby for a bright color.

Wish I could train my mantis to not pop as much.

Back