Goby on blenny violence?

RNich34

Reefing newb
So, long story short, I have had a link spot watchman goby tha I've had for sometime now. He's lived pretty much alone in the tank forever. Outside of a short stint with an algae blenny, which I think he killed, and a 3 month stint with a clown fish before he got sucked in to a water pump. There was no violence with the clown, but I'm pretty sure he killed the blenny. This blenny was probably 3 inches while the goby is probably 6 inches. The only thing I noticed was some chasing and what not. I thought it was normal so I let it go. Would a larger starry blenny fare better against the goby? I don't want to get rid of the goby. This thing is bullet proof and has survived a tank move and a mini spike because of the move.

Any info would be great.

Also, sorry for the bad grammar and what not. I'm on my phone and proper paragraph and sentence structure is hard on an iPhone.

I would personally go with a fish that has a different shape structure then the goby. He knows he is boss and is not afraid to show it.

Well the problem comes in with finding a natural way to get rid of hair algae. I have an emeral crab which does a vey good job. I don't have a lot of algae but snails seem to not want it and stick to the glass. A 55 is too small for a tang or rabbit fish so I don't know what else to do. Butterfly fish? I want to get one more fish and get everything established. I want my final live stock to be the goby, a maroon clown, one other fish(preferably a natural algae eater that I can also feed flakes to) and a dwarf zebra lion. I figure anything over 4 inches is ok, right?

Turbos will eat hair algae, but you have to trim it for them. Honestly if he is that aggressive im not really sure another could stand up to him. If you are feeding flake I would stop because that is just going to add phosphates which will only fuel hair algae.

I have a zebra lionfish in my 55 and I have to be really aggressive with my water changes because he eats alot and poops alot, mucking up my water pretty fast.

I the only thing I do for feeding right now is 1/4 cube of mysis divided up to the goby and the 2 anemones 2 times a week and then a little more another day for the goby. And that it. Then I scoop the rest out that doesn't get eaten and throw it away.

I have a Pink Spotted Watchman and he pretty much hangs out on the bottom of the tank. I've watched him voraciously defend his territory/caves when another fish comes near them, but he is otherwise peaceful. I also have a tail-spot blenny who is a few inches smaller than him. Never any violence between them. But the tailspot spends more time in the water column and up in the rocks. I think if you get a blenny that isn't a bottom dweller then you will be fine. I'd look at a midas blenny or starry blenny (midas first as they will spend more time in the water column).

A 55 is too small for a tang or rabbitfish. As for the hair algae, try a couple turbo snails, and make sure you are using RO/Di water. Sounds like you are feeding a decent amount, so I don't think that's the issue.

It's not really a problem. Just a minor annoyance on some rocks. It's not like an infestation or anything. I keep it clean. Was just looking for a little help here and there by something. I know 55 is too small for a tang or rabbit fish. But I wish I could have a rabbit fish. Probably my favorite looking fish next to lions.

Back