Going broke

yote

In Memoriam
On these:
BLUETORT.jpg

YELLOWMILLI.jpg

And here a FTS just for kicks.
UPDATEDREEF.jpg

The camera phone dont pick up the colors.but the first coral is a bright yellow with bright purple tips.
The 2nd is a yellow millipora with blue poylps

Nice. I wish I could get colonies around here. Everything is 1"-2" frags. Hard to tell exactly how big that millie is, but something that size would easily go for $100 or more here.

Nice. I wish I could get colonies around here. Everything is 1"-2" frags. Hard to tell exactly how big that millie is, but something that size would easily go for $100 or more here.

Capt,The millie is a tad bit bigger than a soft ball.
I walked in to trade my sixline wrasse(he wouldnt stay out of the overflow) and walked out 180 bucks lighter after my 25% discount.

Those are big, and look great! WOW I don't think I could drop 180 in one shot on coral...or should I say I don't think I would live if I did.LOL They look very nice.

Yote what size koralias are you running on your tank? I was just wondering, because if I can talk the wife into it I'm getting a 75. My LFS said he would sell me a old but never used acrylic 75 with about a 6x6 center overflow for 100.00 and will need some good flow. But then again thats if I can talk her into it.

Because I am so addicted at the moment dropping big money like that isn't so bad. However, sometimes I think back to myself "I just paid 60 bucks for a plant" (I know its not a plant but it is easy to think). It seems much more justified to spend that on a fish because it is like a pet. Thats why I like to buy corals that sway and act almost alive.

Those are really nice, Yote. It's hard to find colonies here, too. Usually all the LFS carries are frags smaller than my pinkie finger. And those will still run me $50 apiece :(.

Remember, you have been warned! Mother colony tanks start with just one or two mother colonies then the propagation hooks usually bite in deeply. Usually most aquacultured mother colonies seem to be swapped between propagators or are gifts amongst them. They are seldom even seen offered for sale, and then Yote definitely got a good price. Hopefully they are aquacultured and will not go into a slump like wild taken colonies. Seems most large wild taken coral colonies are sold to coral propagators who have adequate resources and are more often willing to pay the premium prices for something new or different, usually sight unseen.

Last edited:
Bobby,Those Koralias that you can see are #4s.I also have 2 #1s that are back in the rock.

Yeah,I got lazy.I need to pick up a pack of razor blades and scrape the sides off.

Fatman,Every coral I have including the new colonies are tank raised.

It's okay Yote, I never scrape off the sides of my tank either. I get a lot of coralline growth on the sides and think the tinge of green complements the purple nicely.

The sides of my tanks are painted black, just like the back and they get cleaned as little as the back. Pretty close to never.

I advocate, now, that no typical home aquarist buy any coral but tank raised corals. If they are not hardy enough to be tank propagated the home aquarist should expect them to be left them where they can reproduce on their own, not encourage there plundering for profit when there are already many, many corals being successfully propagated. I am hoping before the day I die it is standard practice not to keep fish or coral taken from the wild except for maintenance of clean breeding stock gene pools. I do not think the home aquarist is a major threat to the survival of wild reef coral and fish. I do believe it will be easier to change the buying habits of the home aquarists a lot easier than to do a way with the real enemies of the reefs. Storms, dragging boat anchors, increasing water temperatures, decreasing pH, increasing siltation, increasing pollution are all much harder than the aquarists on the reefs and its inhabitants.

Last edited:
Yote. Looking Good Bud .. I Need Some Of That Purple Coraline. Can Ya Ship Me Some !!!!

You can have all of it you want Ray.:mrgreen:That stuff drives me crazy when I come home after working a shut down.It'll be all over the front glass.

Back