Going crazy

markrj

Reefing newb
Aquascaping is frustrating. Just when I think I like it I walk away, come back and have an overwhelming urge to change it.

I just want it to be done already! :helm2:

Just saying.

This is exactly why I never epoxied my rocks together... I always wanted to change it or needed to move stuff around for one reason or another.

Has anyone broken rocks in half or even just "chiseled" chunks off of rocks?

A friend and I went in half and half on a collection of live rocks and corals from a guy breaking down a 90 gallon reef tank. I am hosting everything but eventually he will be taking about half the coral for his tank. We have a rock that is carpeted with mushrooms. Can we just split that rock in two without hurting anything?

Also have a Kenya Tree with a huge trunk. Can we split that right down the middle?

When I first started, I think I changed my rock work approx 100x's. So don't feel bad, because we've all been there...and yes, you can break the rocks in half and split the corals between the two of you.

I keep reading about this and now I think I have too much rock. I really need to do a sump/refugium setup and I can put some of it in there. I am also thinking about just giving some of the rock with no coral on it to my friend now so I can make a more "healthy for the tank" aquascape. I am pretty sure I am going to have dead spots with this much rock surface area on the bottom.

I have about 90lbs of live rock and only one rated at 900gph powerhead at this time. I will be getting another powerhead soon. I was thinking a 1200 or better this time around.

Here is the current aquascape.

Aquascape1.jpg

You have plenty of open space for tank. Having lots of rock is important because its over the rock that the fish will establish territories, not open water. You need to have enough rock for each fish to establish a healthy amount of area so that you dont have fighting over the area.

Thanks lf! I scored 2 Hydor Koralia 1200gph powerheads for $20 for the pair! Just need to clean them up a bit. Already done with one and it's operating beautifully.

More photos and info tomorrow. The Clowns and the bonus(free!) Spotted Blenny (I think that's what it is) are acclimating along with another free rock full of coral. lol. Different corals than what I have including a paly and other things I cannot remember what all he told me they were. I should have written it down. As soon as I can get good photos I will post them.

Last edited:
The damsels were returned.

All water parameters are good.

The tank has been very stable since cycling. I test it daily.

I know that adding 3 fish at once is risky but they are from the same tank as are all the corals and about 30% of the live rock.

There will be no more additions for a while.

Back