going from fresh to salt

Kat

Reefing newb
is there anything special I need to do to convert a fresh water tank to saltwater? I found a 35g for sale. Is there a difference in the lighting on a tank used for freshwater?

Yes, lighting is different as Simpleman said, if you want to keep most inverts like clams, anemones and corals. To keep those photosynthetic animals, you need lighting to match the sun, which freshwater and basic tank lighting does not do. If you want to keep saltwater fish only, you won't need special lights. Or you can start keeping fish only, save up money, then transition to a reef tank when you can afford lights.

You will need a protein skimmer, which is unique to saltwater. The cheapo crap brand is SeaClone, so you can skip that :).

You will need a protein skimmer, which is unique to saltwater. The cheapo crap brand is SeaClone, so you can skip that :).[/quote]

Thanks Biff :grumble:

I already have a reef tank but I wanted to get another one, I've been looking on craigs list and there are alot of fresh water systems for sale cheap I just want to convert one to salt water. I have never had a fresh water tank so I dont know what they have for lights. is there any cleaning issues involved to convert one?

Kat,

You can convert one without issues.
I converted a 30g fresh to salt. I added new lights, powerheads & a HOB skimmer.
If you are adventurous, you could do some drilling (as long as the glass is not tempered).

Clean any used tank with a water/vinegar mix and you should be OK.
Just be careful with used tanks....you never know what was in them beforehand which may have seeped into the silicone (chemicals, copper, etc).

Good luck.

I already have a reef tank but I wanted to get another one, I've been looking on craigs list and there are alot of fresh water systems for sale cheap I just want to convert one to salt water. I have never had a fresh water tank so I dont know what they have for lights. is there any cleaning issues involved to convert one?

All you need to do is clean it good with vinegar. Also ask them if they ever used copper in the tank. Better yet test it for copper before you buy. As for lights they'll usally be PC's. Find out the type when you contact the seller. Most go with t5's for salt tanks. Then you'll have to buy a protein skimmer and powerheads and whatever else you don't have.

Glad to see 2 people mentioned the copper. If it's ever had copper in it, then it's pretty much worthless as a reef tank.

Fill it up with RO water and let it sit a couple days. Maybe not all the way full, but fill it maybe 10% -- 25% full. Run a freshwater copper test on it. I'd just take a sample to the LFS and pay them $2 to do it. No point in purchasing a freshwater copper test kit. You'll never need it again.

Why RO water? Because the copper plumbing in your house/apartment can leach and give you a false reading if you're just using tap water.

Back