Going to get mushrooms today,BUT.....

OhNoNemo

i love triggers
How do i QT these?My LFS guy(who i do trust)says not to worry about QTing them because he has a coral only tank.Still,there could be who knows what on the rock.This goes against everything i have ever preached to people.Hence ,my dilema....Since they are very tough,even bulletproof (as i have read elsewhere),will they be fine in my QT with only PC lighting(corallife aquasun,,i believe) Or do i considering crossing over to the darkside:shock:

Some people QT their corals because ich can be carried on them in it's free-floating stage -- it can technically be carried on anything, corals, snails, sand, rock, etc. It's extremely rare, but it can happen. Even though you are such a staunch advocate of quarantining everything (as your signature says), I'm not sure if you want to go through that hassle or not. As you know, I don't quarantine anything, but I do dip corals.

Ahhh so do you have to change your signature now if you decide to dip instead? Dip won't kill ich. ;) But if you want to dip, go buy an iodine dip from your LFS. There are several brands. And follow the directions on the bottle. Dips will kill most external parasites and pests that corals can carry.

What about the second part of the question.Will they be ok under pc's for QT??
Plus i have some leds from k mart that i could conentrate right on top of them.

Last edited:
Biff could he do a freshwater dip on his mushrooms? That would kill the ick wouldn't it.

No I don't think so... I don't know for sure.

What about the second part of the question.Will they be ok under pc's for QT??
Plus i have some leds from k mart that i could conentrate right on top of them.

Yeah they will be fine.

As it is ,all i have on my DT is a nova extreme t-5's 48". 1 actinic and 1 54w
Thats good isn't it?

That should be good enough for shrooms, but not anything else... :(

This might help. Don't know if the FW dip is effective, but I think yote washes all his corals off with RODI water before putting them into the tank.

Freshwater Dip / Iodine Dip - The Reef Tank

FW dip: Bath the coral (or fish) in RO or RO/DI or distilled water for 5 or 7 minutes. This will rid the animal of parasites, as the parasites will implode from the quick change in salinity. Their inability to osmoregulate (control the proportion of salt in their tissues to match their surroundings) will create pressure that will kill off parasites (or nudibranchs, with the leather) and they will simply die and/or drop off.

Lugol's or Iodine Dip... Lugol's is a concentrated iodine solution, 40 drops to a gallon of saltwater for no more than 7 minutes, should effectively disinfect a coral. Do NOT use this procedure on fish, although I've used it on Sea Stars with some good results. Do NOT dump the dip water back into the tank, discard it. If you're using something like Kent Tech - D or Seachem Reef Dip, follow the directions on the package. Those products use Iodine and Potassium Bromide and other compounds to achieve the same end - to disinfect corals of bacteria and other pathogens.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Cheers,
Jenn

Hehehehhe....I had my mushrooms under t8 10watt bulbs for 6 months and they propagated like crazy LOL I think your pcs will be fine :P

Shoot David.I've stuck whole colonies under the bath tub faucet :D

Matt.Get a bottle Lugols Solution.Take about a 1/2 gallon of water from your display and add 20 drops to it and stir.Then once you have the mushrooms acclimated to your display,set em in the water Lugols mixture for 10 minutes.At the end of that 10 minutes,place em in your display.
The Lugols should take care of any fish parasites that might be on the rock/plug/disk.Any of the parasites that happen to get on the mushrooms itself,will be eaten by the shrooms.

Thanks yote,I got them and my lfs guy had the stuff your talking about.He told me to bring a bucket of my water then i transfered them home in the bucket of solution he made(probably in there for 1/2 an hour).He also assured me not to worry because he runs a uv on his systems.He took me behind the scene,i was impressed to say the least.....So needless to say,they are in my tank now:x:.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
here we go.I switched to chrome and now i have no problems.
4623650953_e601b1be28.jpg

Nice looking shrooms. I found a local guy here taking his tank down. He has 40 Rics that he is selling for 5.00 a piece. I'm gonna go get a handfull I think today.

Back