Going to start another tank

DavidA717

Soon to be Reef Expert
Ok im getting ready to start a 75 gal reef tank. anyone have any suggestions for lights and skimmers?

let me know of some good ones and roughly what the prices are

David there are way to many options.Can you give a budget and what you're wanting to keep coral wise?

Softies?Softies and LPS?Unlimited?

For now I recommend the Octopus skimmer($120-$400).Price varies between in sump and HOB,the recirculating needlewheels are more than the regular needlewheels.It all depends on how much skimming performance you want and willing to spend.

not really looking to spend more than 200 on the skimmer and 300 on the lights. Currently i have a huge toadstool leather in my 30 that i want to convert over, some zoas but i probably wont move them, and candy cane. I really want to move more toward softies and acro

yeah i friend of mine has an octopus skimmer in sump on his 120 and he loves it, and he got it at a steal for 80 bucks

It's going to be hard to find lights for a 75 gallon tank for under $300, unless you buy a used set. Especially if you want to keep SPS such as acros.

what kind of corals am i looking at having with only 216 watt T-5's? i have a bulb tip anemone, is he going to be ok under those too?

cutting it close with only 4 watts per gallon. softies and LPS you are OK. Doubt SPS will make it. Do you already have the tank or still in the planning stage?

There are really no short cuts for good lights. you will just have to suck it up if you want to keep the corals you say you want to. Go with an 8 light T-5 = $400 and you will be safe for sure. while you are at it, you may as well jump to the 90 as opposed to the 75 unless you already have the tank. the extra 15 gallons don't take up any room but give you more space for fish

-Doc

yeah i am still in the planning stages right now. was going to start to take some action on purchasing things in stages after christmas (tank one week, build stand another, skimmer another... and so on) I was just trying to get some input from people who have experience with larger tanks like you guys

i dont really care about keeping acros, ive been interested in them, but i dont have to have them, but i might go with the 8-bulb T-5s, ill just have to bite the bullet

Oooooh once you get a tank that size, you WILL want to start keeping acros. It's hard to resist the "next step" in this hobby! I'd recommend, like others have said, biting the bullet and getting good lights, then you can have your dream tank. If you go cheap on the lights, you will end up wanting to replace them with better lights in the future anyways.

I think you will be happiest by getting the best you can afford. If you have the space, go even bigger than the 75 or 90. A 120 is still four feet long and is a great size tank. Once you jump to the 6 foot tanks, lighting gets ridiculous. Think big and you will love your tank

-Doc

of, and like Biff said, once you CAN keep the Acros, you do want them. I find myself wanting SPS corals like crazy. I need to add more rock to have more places to keep them now. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

-Doc

here is the thing though. it will all come down to money and space. I started out this hobby with a 125 and I wish I had the 180 or even better 220, all are still 6 feet long. Go as BIG as you can afford and have space. if money is an issue for lighting, go with a 120. that way you can keep a 48in T-5 fixture that will allow you to keep all corals and clams without a problem for about $450. once you jump to 6 foot tanks, you are looking for $1000...used lights and more like $1200 new. that is for T-5. MH are more. I was looking and 3 24 in pendant MH lights and that would have been like $1400. if you are not wanting to spend a ton on lights, look at the 120

-Doc

yeah ill have to see what i can do around the house to make a little more room, ill probably end up going with the 90 or 120 as of right now, but like i said, im just in the brainstorming stage right now. I finish school in 2 semesters, so i might be able to make it happen by then, but we will see

Back